We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Swiss 7 days

5 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Swiss 7 days

Hi, I am travelling to Swiss from 29th Sep - 7th Oct.

Here is my proposed itinerary.

Day 1 - Land in Geneva and head to Zermatt

Day 2 - Visit Matterhorn. (Do you advise glacier express?)

Day 3 - Travel to interlaken. Shall i make interlaken or Wenger as base? Visit lauterbrunnen

Day 4 - Visit jungfrau

Day 5 - Travel to Lucerne

Day 6 - Visit Titlis

Day 7 - Head back to Geneva

Request you to share feedback on the itineary and suggest modifications. Also is it advisable to travel by train or drive.

8 replies to this topic
Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Swiss 7 days

Hi Yash S

If you could change your flights it would be very helpful for you as Lucerne is only one train hour away from Zurich airport but 3 hours away from Geneva airport which means you loose half a day.

Over all I think your itinerary is doable but you do not have enough time at Zermatt and at Lucerne. Maybe you would like to limit the number of bases on 2 which would be very helpful.

Day 2: Glacier Express runs from Zermatt to St. Moritz, in the opposite direction. From Geneva to Zermatt you have normal trains to Visp and the small gauge train up to Zermatt.

Day 3: On your way from Zermatt to the Jungfrau area (for example Grindelwald or Wengen) you could travel via the very scenic goldenpass line (from Zermatt to Wengen, which says that Wengen would be the greater base, via Gstaad). Do not worry about the changes, they are easy and you can send your luggage ahead by the luggage service (see Top Questions about Switzerland (upper right hand side of your screen), section 2).

Day 4: You can not travel to Jungfrau which would need an alpinist training and equipment but to Jungfraujoch which is the highest railway station of Europe (why it is also called the Top of Europe). Do not go if the sights would not be clear up there (the same is important for the Klein Matterhorn and any mountain excursion). You would see nothing if you would be in the fog.

Day 5: For Lucerne look at www.luzern.com/en and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum). It is a pity that you do not have more time for this great area. If I were you I would keep this area for an other visit and spend at least three nights there.

Day 6: Do not miss Trübsee on your way up or back to Mt. Titlis - www.titilis.ch/en -. You can walk round the lake and have a drink or even a meal at the restaurant there.

Before you continue you should study the Top Questions about Switzerland where you can get a lot of basic information about the country (including the countries name which is Switzerland not Swiss).

Happy planning

pore

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,710 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Swiss 7 days

To add to Pore's excellent advice above - never plan a mountain excursion more than a day in advance. You need to be sure about the weather on the day you wish to go up to a mountain. Our forecasts here are simply not that reliable because the Alps create micro climates and things change very quickly. use www.meteoblue.com to get the forecasts for each place and for the Jungfraujoch you need to enter Wengen Jungfraujoch. You need a plan A - good weather - and B - bad weather for each place.

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Swiss 7 days

Thanks Pore for the revert. Wanted to clarify few things:-

1. will i be able to do glacier express in a day. I read that it takes 7 hours one way.

2. can i see Matterhorn if i do glacier express.

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Swiss 7 days

also do you suggest if i shud interchange my wengen and lucerne trip. by this i can cover glacier express from zermatt to lucerne

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,710 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Swiss 7 days

You cannot possibly take the Glacier Express from Zermatt and then back to Zermatt in one day. If you want to fit in at least some time on the GEX you have to change your itinerary. For example drop the Jungfraujoch. Go from Zermatt on the GEX to CHUR. then connect from there to Luzern. Allow an additional day in either Zermatt or Luzern...

And if you want to take the GEX remember to book your seat well in advance. Unlike other Swiss trains - seat reservations are needed for the Glacier Express. www.glacierexpress.ch

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Swiss 7 days

Remember, in order for your itinerary to work, the weather would have to cooperate. I stayed 6 days in Wengen and only 2 out of the 6 were sunny and thus suitable for high altitude excursions (like heading to Jungfraujoch).

Wengen is much more scenic and closer if you decide to head up to Jungfraujoch. Interlaken is more like a busy tourist hub - but convenient if you want to do day excursions in the Bernese Oberland region, say to Brienz, Thun, Bern, etc. Btw, IMO there isn't that much to see in Lauterbrunnen itself. You'll want to see the valley from a higher viewing point, like on the hiking trail toward Wengen or from Wengen (train station and the church just off the main road both offer spectacular view of the valley floor)

For Zermatt I followed the recommendation of my hostess and took the Gornergrat Bahn and did short hikes on all the stops. You get very good pictures of the Matterhorn from there - on a sunny day when it's not covered up by clouds, that is.

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Swiss 7 days

if lucerne is beautiful, shall i keep 3 days for lucerne and cut Wengen to a day (to visit juangrafru). Is this feasible?

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,710 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Swiss 7 days

Luzern is a beautiful small city with a lovely old town area. One day in Luzern enables you to see all this. However Luzern is an excellent base to explore central Switzerland from. The lake of Luzern has lake boats and there are three nearby mountains you can go up.

Wengen is a nice enough village in the Oberland and a useful base to go to the Jungfraujoch from. but if you are not a hiker spending 3 nights there might be too much. It is important to stay somewhere relatively close to the Jungfraujoch because getting there and back from Luzern is almost more than anyone should attempt in a day. (8 hours on the trains...)

Reply to: Travel to Swiss 7 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted