We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Perugia

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Perugia

My boyfriend and I are thinking about driving to Perugia for a short stay on the way from Florence to Rome. Neither of us have been, and the city reviews I've read seem pretty mixed. Is it a nice place? Is worth the trip?

London, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Perugia

I've been to Perugia twice and I would recommend it as a pit stop on your way to Rome, all the Umbria region is simply picturesque, and there are many interesting little towns scattered around its hills, like Gubbio, Assisi, Orvieto. of course, if you're driving, taking in the scenery is half the fun

the region is famous for its "salumi" - hams and salamis, like the salame di Norcia

Perugia houses a University for foreign students, so there are lots of youngsters around, there is a medieval feel to it, and it's home to the famous Perugina chocolate.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,766 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Perugia

We'll be visiting Perugia and Assisi early Dec so can't comment on them till then. However we were in Tuscany at Easter and this coming trip we will be repeating SIENA. That is somewhere you really must go, it's wonderfully atmospheric. Nearer Florence so I see it's not a midway stop en route to Rome though.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Perugia

Lisa - I attended the University of Perugia for Foreigners in August 2004. An absolutely marvelous experience. If you want to learn Italian quick - this is the place to go. The city of Perugia is absolutely beautiful. It is a miedeval town surrounded by a miedeval wall where people are extra warm and will do everything possible to help you - sincerely. It's like being in a fairytale filled with castles; yes, all of Italy is, but this town is extra special because of the warmth of the people. Keep your eyes open for the Counts, Baronesses, Contessas, etc.; yes they still exist. Perugia is also home of the famous divine painter, Perugino and yes, Perugina chocolates. Tip: Ladies, bring along flat shoes as the walkways are cobblestone and hilly.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: Trip to Perugia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:51 pm, December 14, 2004
Level Contributor
765 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Perugia

Yes, Perugia is worth the trip. We stay there for several days as well as Siena, Firenze, and Roma during our three-week visits. It is a wonderful city. If you like ceramics, Deruta is the place to go, and it is on a route towards Roma after you leave Perugia.

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Perugia

WE are staying in PErugia for 2 nights next week, and I'm wondering if it is too far of a detour to go to Cittal De Castello with Perugia as our home base, or should I stay closer for a night??

Level Contributor
1,572 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Perugia

I'm an American who has lived in Assisi for the last four years. I go to Perugia a lot - it is only a 20 min. drive. I don't particularly like Perugia. It is a college town and the roads are crazy, lots of traffic. There is a center but not an easy place to get around. Perugia is the home to Perugia chocolates (the ones that are wrapped in silver with blue stars and love notes inside).

I suggest you stay in Assisi, Gubbio, Spello, Spoleto. Bevagna, Montefalco or one of the other hilltop villages with more charachter.

I have my apartment listed for rent on www.vrbo.com (49877) - all the amenities, ADSL, washing machine, telephone, parking, etc....but there are others listed in the Umbria area on this website that you might enjoy.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me- connieconcetta@hotmail.com

Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Perugia

We have been to Perugia for a day. Where we particularly like to visit when in Italy is Spello, Assisi and Orvieto. These towns have wonderful character and the people are very friendly and take great pride in their towns. We've always dreamed of moving to Italy and living between Assisi and Spello. The country there is very beautiful! I hope that you have a wonderful time!

Pontypool, Wales...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Perugia

I think all these replies show that one mans meat is another mans poison.At the end of the day Italy is a beautiful country. But who is to say what is beautiful? Yes, there are many small towns that are very lovely and there are some larger towns that may look ugly but have a soft heart.If we all liked the same things life would be boring. I say go to these places and make your own minds up. If you only visit small towns like Montefalco, Bevagna, Trevi they will all start looking the same (quiet steets, nice church, pretty piazza) whereas if you throw in somewhere like Perugia it makes a good contrast. I would compare all these negatives regarding to Perugia to all the British who tell you they love America but in fact have only visited Disneyworld! Sometimes you have to scratch the surface to see whats underneath.

Alicante Spain
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Perugia

Both the small cities like Assisi, Spello, Todi, Spoleto and Umbrias main center Perugia are very worth to visit. But take into account that you are already to visit two big cities like Florence and Rome. It would be perhaps more interesting for you to see the smaller ones, wich you can visit even 2 or 3 in the same day, and wich the essence of the region is more recognizable than in a city of 160.000 inhabitants like Perugia