We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet options in Perugia

Melbourne
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Topic
Internet options in Perugia

I am planning long stay in Perugia area. What would be my choices for good internet - say 7Mbps so I can use Skype.

How long would it take to have ADSL connected to an apartment (assuming it has a phone line) ?

USB internet key ? Are they good ?

What providers are good ?

And finally - how much does it cost ? Say about 3 GB a month download.

Thanks very much

Josef

Melbourne
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Internet options in Perugia

I would like to briefly summarise my experience with internet in "greater" Perugia.

We started with TIM chiavetta plan as soon as we arrived. It seemed quite affordable - 60 Euro for three months with 100 hours per month. We stayed in a B&B in Ponte San Giovanni. Reception was good and speed appeared to be OK. A week later we moved to a hillside agriturismo in Ramazzano. Again, signal and speed was OK for web browsing. Once we had a video call on Skype with Australia, but there we were streching the service a bit - it was patchy - ok for a family chat, but I would not like to use it for business.

Our last destination was a rental apartment back in Ponte San Giovanni. There the reception was poor. In the morning it seemed to be just OK, but evenings were very poor. Possibly it was a combination of poor signal and heavy use of internet in the neighbourhood which had high density - lots of apartment buildings.

We decided to try WIND, but this was not any better. (WE bought the unlimited plan, so we did not have to worry about running out of allocation.)

I am now back in Australia, my daughter is staying in Italy - last week we had a 50 minute voice call on Skype, and even that dropped completely several times.

So it depends on the location. Before we decided to buy WIND we checked the Wind mobile signal which was good. So again, the problem must be not just the signal strenght, but also the density of usage in the neighbourhood.

ADSL would be a proposition if you are staying for a long time. I can imagine there would be some installation charges, modem, and waiting.

Another warning regarding the TIM USB plan. They 'eat' you time allocation in 15 minute chunks. So even if you do a quick check of your email, it costs you 15 minutes. Also if you run out of your 100 hours, as we did, for the rest of your month you have to pay 1 euro per 15 minutes.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Internet options in Perugia

I also find that 3G services deteriorate during heavy usage hours. Also, some buildings with thick stone walls prevent the signal from arriving at your computer. I sometimes have to positions myself by a window to get a clear signal.

TIm has an unlimited hours plan, but 100 hours a month is 3 hour a day, and I think that would be way more than enough for most people. We spend a month at our holiday home every year, and I've always managed with a 40-hour plan. I have my USB modem set to disconnect when there's inactivity.

Vodafone has several plans based on data amount rather than time. One of these (or else TIM's unlimited plan) would be advisable if you want to be always connected to receive Skype calls. However, I find it much easier to keep track of hours rather than the amount of data I've used. TIM's unlimited plan doesn't cost much more than the 100-hour plan; I believe it's 24 euros a month as opposed to 19 euros. The phone plans are cheaper than the modem plans, but are based on data rather than time. Phones use greatly compressed data compared to a computer; my phone plan is 250 mb per week, and I've never used it up.

13. Re: Internet options in Perugia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, October 11, 2012