We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Trasimeno in Sept: Is it worth the time?

Boston...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Trasimeno in Sept: Is it worth the time?

We have several days and are considering a stay at Lake Trasimeno.

Is it nice for kayaking & walking in Sept. ?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Trasimeno in Sept: Is it worth the time?

I don't know about kayaking, but it would be a nice place for a lot of walking free from traffic and hills. September would be a lovely time, perhaps just slightly warm.

The lake itself is not much, very shallow, serene, not too heavily touristed. I have rarely seen any power boats on the lake.

The interesting aspect is the location. If you study a map for a little while you will see there are a huge number of very interesting spots for day trips within an hour or two driving.

So if you want something for quiet, relaxing days and nights between day trips, then I think it would be nice. We have not stayed right at the lake, but we have stayed nearby several times and driven through the lake area many times.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Trasimeno in Sept: Is it worth the time?

Thanks for your response. Any place away from traffic appeals to me!

Also, the photos on Google Earth are very scenic.

I think we'll include it in our trip.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Trasimeno in Sept: Is it worth the time?

Also consider taking the boat over to the little island in the center - a lovely pilgrimage spot. I don't have the details with me but a search on the web should produce results - unless one of the other forum members can provide them.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Trasimeno in Sept: Is it worth the time?

This site does have some info on the islands...

perugiaonline.com/easy/umbria_islands_trasim…

London, England
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Trasimeno in Sept: Is it worth the time?

Yes- the island Maggiore also has a bit of walking, abeit only a few km- barely enough to justify the excellent lakeside lunches which you can have in the restaurants near the landing pier; many ferries daily for the short trip from Castiglione del Lago and other lakeside towns (in fact we have been known to skip the walk and just do lunch!)

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Trasimeno in Sept: Is it worth the time?

the boat to Isola Maggiore departs from Passignano. The best walks are not near the water but high up in the hills, for example near Castel Rigone where you find some marked paths and gorgeous views

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Trasimeno in Sept: Is it worth the time?

PS. be very careful with kayaking. The lake is know for vortexes even with mild weather. Make sure to ask where it is safe to paddle.

8. Re: Lake Trasimeno in Sept: Is it worth the time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:00 am, February 23, 2011