We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which town to visit for daytrip from Assisi

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
601 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
which town to visit for daytrip from Assisi

If we plan to be in Assisi for 2 nights in early April, which town is most recommended to visit on a day trip? (Cortona, Todi, Spello, Orvieto are the main ones I've seen mentioned). Seems that 2 nights (arriving 1st day at 11:30 a.m.) is enough to see things in Assisi as well as do a day trip? Travelling with kids ages 10 and 12. We won't have a car.

We appreciate any help!

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which town to visit for daytrip from Assisi

I recommend you stay in Assisi...yes, you can take another trip - but why push yourself like that - especially without a car?

There is so much to see here in Assisi....and it takes time to walk up and down these cobblestone streets and view the all of the beautiful places in the city and within the city walls.....take into account that when you arrive in Assisi, it will be lunch time. The churches and places of interest are closed till 2 - giving you a lovely opportunity to have a traditional Umbrian lunch at one of the local restaurants...then visit the Basilica of St. Francis-visit the tomb of St. Francis, view the Giotto----The church of Santa Chiara, the Temple of Minerva....the Church of San Rufino to see where Francis and Claire were baptised and the ancient Roman ruins underneath...it is also the church where Jews were smuggled out of the area during the war...

The sites close at around 5 p.m. ...except Basilica of St. Francis...so you really can't see everything in the one afternoon you arrive.

Visit the shops, walk up to Rocca Maggiore - the fort/castle on the top of the hill where you get marvelous views of the valley and your kids will enjoy the imaginings of an archer...sit in the piazza and have a cappuccino while you watch the townspeople and tourists meander thru the piazza and feel the spray of the fountain....

Have a gigantic gelato cone while you meander some of the other streets...view the enormous arches and the interesting iron light fixtures on the pink stoned buildings.

Take your kids to the amphitheater and view the ancient ruins under the Piazza Matteotti.

Take a hike up the 4 km.(or a taxi) to Eremo della Carceri - on top of Mt. Subasio - to visit the place where St. Francis and his first followers would go to meditate in the forest. You walk thru the forest area, enter a monestary, walk down these incredibly narrow stairs thru little doors (your kids will love it), see where Francis slept on the stone...then wander up the stairs outside to outdoor chapel areas and you can walk on the forest trails - see the cave areas where the meditations took place. There are beautiful white doves living in the monestary building.

April is such a pretty time of the year here - the olive trees are a silvery green, the fields in the Umbrian valley are lime colored, poppies are starting to blossom brilliant red amidst the lime color, the light shines on the pink stone of Assisi, tourists and locals alike are out and about enjoying the spring, there are processions and festas....

There is always something to experience in Assisi. Part of visiting Assisi is slowing down and looking around you. It is the feel of this most sacred place - the home of the Patron Saint of the entire country of Italy! 2 days is better than none, but hardly enough!

BUT, if you insist on leaving Assisi for a side trip....Spello is 20 minutes away, Peruiga is a train trip about 30 minutes, Montefalco is wonderful but not sure if good train schedule, Bevagna...

Buon viaggio!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which town to visit for daytrip from Assisi

Oh, travelmagic--I do hope that you decide to stay in Assisi the entire time. There is really so much to see and the town is just WONDERFUL. We walked up and down and through all the little roads and I would have loved to have had more time than we did. All of the things that Alaskaitaly mentioned are so interesting and beautiful. And just the feelings that you get when you are there is worth taking all the extra time that you can get. We stayed for two nights and both of us were so very disappointed when we had to leave. Yes, all the towns are wonderful in Italy but pleeeease try to use your two nights just for Assisi. Sorry, but I am saying this one more time--we both really,really,really loved Assisi!!!!!!!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
601 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which town to visit for daytrip from Assisi

alaskaitaly and wittyone,

Thank you SO much for your replies. This helps me incredibly! It's settled in my mind--we'll enjoy Assisi, and not run around trying to see someplace else. travelmagic

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which town to visit for daytrip from Assisi

Oh, travelmagic--I think you have made a wonderful decision. I think that Assisi will hit you on an emotional level that will make you want even more time there! It is so special-- Oh, I wish I were back there right now!!! And if you have even more time after Assisi, any of the towns you listed would also be wonderful. If there is one thing that most of us learn about Italy, it is that we need lots of return trips to see all the treasures !!! Have fun--take it slow and let the people and the atmosphere of this beautiful city work their magic on you !! Your screen name says it all !!! Ciao !!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
912 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which town to visit for daytrip from Assisi

We really liked Spoleto because it was not touristy at all. You may check it out for a day trip.

Oregon
Level Contributor
601 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which town to visit for daytrip from Assisi

wittyone, Thanks so much. I am so excited to see Assisi.

mgfit, Thanks for the tip about Spoleto.

Yes, I can see I'm already planning in the back of my mind the next trip!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which town to visit for daytrip from Assisi

I am in agreement with Spoleto !! I really wanted to go there last time but just couldn't fit it in . I have read of many wonderful things about the town though. And as I said-all the others that you have mentioned above!! Sometimes I think we need to wear a blindfold and just start throwing darts at the map of Italy !! where is NOT a good place to go, is what I would like to know!!! Enjoy your planning because that is a huge part of the fun. And whatever you don't get to see-have no regrets-just start planning for a return trip !!! I think your kids will love all the areas too. So much to see and so much to do--and the Italian people just love kids. Have a blast !!! Sure you don't have room in your suitcase for one medium sized person??

8. Re: which town to visit for daytrip from Assisi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 22, 2009