We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip to Assisi by train/bus from Rome, Siena or Florence

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Daytrip to Assisi by train/bus from Rome, Siena or Florence

Greetings,

I will be staying in Rome, Siena and Florence and I'm wondering if a day trip is comfortably doable from any of those cities? Which one would be easiest? Or is an Assisi daytrip not recommended from any of these cities?

Thank you!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytrip to Assisi by train/bus from Rome, Siena or Florence

Click the UK flag for current train times Rome to Assisi www.trenitalia.com

Bus from Assisi train station up to the town.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,260 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytrip to Assisi by train/bus from Rome, Siena or Florence

It is not really a day trip from any of these places. Trains from Rome to Assisi take 2 to 2.5 hours each way, with an extra 15 minutes at least for bus from the Assisi station to the town. So you would spend 5 hours of precious holiday time just sitting in a train, looking at nothing in particular.

From Florence, add an hour each way to the Rome times. Even more from Siena.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytrip to Assisi by train/bus from Rome, Siena or Florence

I'm really struggling with the decision whether to visit Assisi while we are in Todi this October.

I've been to Assisi before but my DH has not. I know it's not really relevant, but, we are not Catholic.

My most vivid memory of Assisi is the spectacular wooden doors in the walls of the city. That and the mural in the cathedral of the last supper and the animals being given scraps.

Really undecided if we should go or not. Will probably leave the decision to my DH.

Anyone any thoughts?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytrip to Assisi by train/bus from Rome, Siena or Florence

Thanks for the responses. I did not think it was doable. I had planned to day trip to Orvieto from Rome but maybe we'll turn that into an overnight & hit up Assisi while there. But that doesn't sound real pleasant either. Will probably have to save Assisi for a future trip.

Thanks again!

5. Re: Daytrip to Assisi by train/bus from Rome, Siena or Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 02, 2014