We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunflowers & Nightlife in Assisi

Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Sunflowers & Nightlife in Assisi

Hi in the first week of June, my wife and i will visit Florence and then Assisi, and eventually Rome.

We are thinking if it's worthwhile to stay in Assisi overnigh OR we simply drop off luggages at train station (assuming they do have storage service) in early morning, and visit Assisi during day time and catch the train (to Rome) before sunset. Here are my Questions :

(1) What activities are special in Assisi at night? Shows on the street ?

(2)Also i have seen sunflowers in Assisi on the internet. From train station to main attraction in Assisi , where is the closest sunflower area ? I wanna take some great photos , you know !

Thanks

Terence

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunflowers & Nightlife in Assisi

Depending on when during the week you are there, many times there are muscians in the piazza and most nights there are free concerts at various venues.

The farmers rotate their crops - but normally you can find incredible sunflower fields on the road from the train station up to Assisi. There are pull off places along the road where you can take marvelous photos of the fields and the view of Assisi.

Halifax
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunflowers & Nightlife in Assisi

I didn't think the sunflowers bloomed until later in the summer? I understand there will be field of flowers but I don't think they will be sunflowers.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunflowers & Nightlife in Assisi

Of course you're right...didn't pay attention to the date! Sunflowers are normally in late July/August.

But there is always the silver-green of the leaves of the olive trees!

Halifax
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunflowers & Nightlife in Assisi

Here is a website that describes the Spring wild flowers that are present in the Piane Grande Naitonal park. I am hoping to see field of flowers elsewhere in Umbria and Tuscany in Mid to Late May.

http://www.terracottatrails.com/hol_ms.php

Halifax
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunflowers & Nightlife in Assisi

Sorry....Piano Grande Naitonal Park...where is spell check when you need it.

Halifax
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunflowers & Nightlife in Assisi

Forget it....you know what I mean. Terrible typist that I am

Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunflowers & Nightlife in Assisi

Thanks for your replies.

We're bit disappointed that we couldn't see sunflowers in Assisi in June.

We wanted to take some great photos with beautiful flowers behind.

We actually haven't decided whether we should visit Assisi or not. We

Other than the church, what other main attractions in Assisi would you recommend ?

Terence

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunflowers & Nightlife in Assisi

We have just returned from Italy and I have to say that Assisi was one of my favourite places. It is a beautiful little place and has not been over commercialized as other places have. There is a great deal to see and you can escape onto little back roads and really soak in the atmosphere of small Italian towns. They have done a great job of protecting how the town looks. Definetly recommend spending at least one day there.

Ken

9. Re: Sunflowers & Nightlife in Assisi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 14, 2009