We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to do day trip to Assisi from Rome

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
175 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to do day trip to Assisi from Rome

I will be in Rome for several days in November and we wish to make a day trip to Assisi. What is the best way to do this - train or bus tour? We have one member of our party whose walking is limited, but we also would like to have flexibility to be on our own a bit. Any bus tours more open ended than others if we go that way?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to do day trip to Assisi from Rome

For bus tours, try the search bar above the posts. I've seen Context Tours mentioned frequently, but I've no knowledge.

I save this post for the train from Termini to Assisi, hope it helps: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187905-i1049-k389…

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to do day trip to Assisi from Rome

How limited is limited walking? Assisi has quite a few hills and even with bus tours you are going to have to do some walking with lots of uphill/downhill points. Assisi is beautiful but it might not be the right place to visit if you have somebody in your party that will not be able to enjoy it.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to do day trip to Assisi from Rome

If the person in your party is capable of standing on the back of one of those great Skegway (? not sure of the spelling) thingys - it would be an excellent way to see the city without having to walk! I've posted info on the tour - including price and the website in previous posts - and NO I do not have any financial interest in the company!

There are other posts on this forum as to how to do a day trip on your own - including the sites; buses; etc.

With a trip/tour on your own, you would have more flexibility as to when and where to stop and rest - what you wanted to put your energy into versus a bus tour where you are on a schedule.

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
175 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to do day trip to Assisi from Rome

I don't think that the person with limited walking is going to be on the back of a segway, but she will be able to walk enough to see the Assisi churches. She would also be fine with sitting down in a cafe with a cappucino while the rest of us continue to sightsee, so I don't want a tour that is too regimented.

5. Re: Best way to do day trip to Assisi from Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 10, 2012