We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour to avoid

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vandalia Ohio
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
tour to avoid

If you want to spend a lot of time on the bus, don't want to shop, or have time for pictures, this is the trip for you. I realize that there is travel time, but there is no fun time. We were hustled onto a very crowded bus and then ran to the trip bus. Once on the bus, a very bored William occasionally told us what we were passing. At the farm we were given 10 minutes to taste a little bit of their wares (think of a piece of bread cut into fourths and a medicine cup of wine-- not exactly what I call wine tasting.). Then given only 10 minutes to buy whatever we wanted. Then we were hustled into the eating area where we had tasteless pasta and stew (peas and meat--mine was either fat or bone). Then we are off to Assisi. There a guide took us through the city streets at a brisk walking pace. We were not ALLOWED to shop. Several of us really wanted to look at the handmade items, but each time anyone stopped we were yelled at. We went through the beautiful church and out again. The guide said, "Well now you have 10 minutes to shop. OK nine now.. Get going and meet at the bus." I actually got into "trouble" because I went to the restroom after buying 2 postcards. We were hot and thirsty but there was "no time." Then we went down to the beautiful Santa Maria degli Angeli. This time we were told to go through the church and be picked up on the other side. Due to some miscommunication 2 travelers went back to the drop off and had to be found. We again were told not to shop. On a dare, as we waited for our traveling companions, we went across the street and got gelato. The countryside was spectacular but the tour was rushed and stressful. This was advertised as a tour for 5 to 8 people. There were 14. I wish we had packed a lunch like the group from India did!

Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: tour to avoid

I read and then reread and then some about bus/coach tours from Rome. Greenline does one, it is sold also by Viator. Cost is 93Euros pp. Since there are three adults in our group I decided on Stephanotours by Romacabs. There are plenty of good reviews on TA about him .It is 150Euros pp but honestly I feel it will be worth the price. We will travel in January 2012 . The arrangement is that the driver will pick us us from our hotel in Rome at 8.00Am. take us to Assisi and Spello and drop us back to the hotel in the evening. We can do this tour at our own pace. I think it should work for anyone who has three or more people in the group. You choose where you want to have lunch which need not be the standard paper-cup wine tasting and some cold soggy pasta

United States
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: tour to avoid

In the interest of accuracy, I hope ladytravelbug008 is talking about Stefano from Rome Cabs (no 'a') and stefanorometours (note spelling). There is a Romacabs which is not the one most recommended on this forum.

www.romecabs.com

www.stefanorometours.com

TAB

Louisiana, USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: tour to avoid

How was this tour? Would you recommend it? We are traveling to Rome in May for a few days and want to go to Assissi for the day. We are four adults traveling together.

Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: tour to avoid

Why not take the train to Assisi from Rome? - 2 hours, cheap. There is a constant file of buses leaving the train station on the 1/2 hour. Then you can join a tour in Assisi if you want, but you'll have lots of time to poke around, read the guidebook, take the BEST pictures, eat a devastating lunch.

Train info:

raileurope.com/us/…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: tour to avoid

Off-the-veranda has the best idea.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: tour to avoid

A pick-up and drop -off should not be c onsidered a "tour" but a "delivery"

If you are opting for this sort of tour and NOT a local guide, at least get the book in each town SPECIFIC to the town / about 9 /e

Discard after you tour ,if you do now wish to take home

17. Re: tour to avoid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, June 05, 2013