We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

I'm starting to thing joining an organised tour will be the easiest way to see Spoletto and Spello - then I don't have to worry about changing trains, making connections, and wasting time sorting out logistics.

Is Assisi large enough to have a tour desk or tour companies in town?

Does anyone have contact details or a web site I could use to find more info?

I'd love to do them both in one day if possible - but if I'm doing it on my own I'd probably want to allow a day each ... just in case of infrequent train connections.

Thanks.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

You certainly don't need a guide for Spello - it takes all of about 1 hour to see Spello :) -

If you type in tour guide into the search box at the "SEARCH IN" Assisi - area, you'll find recent posts of guide recommendations and the phone numbers/contacts.

I know one of the guides doesn't supply transportation and I'm unsure of the others.

You could also arrange a driver/taxi with someone - I have a name and number (AND NO I DO NOT HAVE ANY BUSINESS INTEREST WITH THEM) - Mauro - he speaks English, licensed taxi with van style taxi will drive you to these locations.

If you do have a driver - I would do Spello, Bevagna, Montefalco in on afternoon.

Spoletto is about 45 minutes from Assisi by train with what appears to be a train leaving Assisi about every hour. Spello is only a 10 minute train ride.

So - if you started in the morning taking the train from Assisi to Spello - do your tour of Spello (the church/paintings are the highlight) - then take a taxi to the train station to catch a train to Spoleto for the rest of the day! EASY! :)

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

There are actually a few "hidden secrets " in Spello, including and amazing friar..when are you traveling?

Spoleto is lovely - much under restoration, though.

Do not miss the church in the cemetery, San Salvatore.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

There is certainly more to Spello than just spending an hour there. Depends if you want just a tour of sights or an experential one. Spello has numerous alleyways of the most beautiful potted plants creating gardens - a joy to behold. And if you want a chance to taste the DOC Wines and Oils of the area see here:

annesitaly.com/Insights/AssisiUmbria/SpelloB… for a marvellous tour of Assisi and then Spello for a wine tasting feast. Also included is an understanding of the beautiful Frescos in the church nearby.

There are also impressive Roman Towers of the Augustan period to see, wonderful cafe overlooking a fantastic view into the hills and if you are there anytime in June the flowers will be magnificent as they are preparing for their famous Infiorate for the Corpus domini Procession and garden competitions are held.

As Anne who takes the tour on link above "Spello is as Assisi would have been if it hadn't been for St Frances". So, built of the same Mt Subasio pink tinged stone as Assisi, it has the beauty of a natural medieval style town - a delight. It also has stores where some of the best Montefalco linen can be bought, Olive wood store of the very best items, art stores - a paradise! And Anna Robichaud, a guide living in Assisi, can tell and show it all to you.

Likewise, Anna will do a well worthwhile tour of Spoleto - a gem of a town - so much to see and so much history. The Duomo, original shopfronts of the old market places, a fairly recently discovered Roman Villa, Roman Amphitheatre, one of the most beautiful examples of an Italian cemetery - I can't cover it all.

There are many ideas on annesitaly.com website

Edited: 1:27 pm, May 08, 2011
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

What - or who - is "and [sic] amazing friar"?

Speaking of amazing, it's amazing that a first-time poster comes along less than an hour after AssisiAnne to sing AssisiAnne's praises.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

Fra Paolo - on his own for 18 yrs in the Church of Sant' Andrea - is not to be missed. He is an inspiration - for his lifestyle, for his artistic masterpieces honoring the Infiorate (June 26 this year - flower petal carpet festival).

New Roman ruins recently unearthed near Porta Consolare and the volunteer Tourist Office, Pro-Loco, has info.

Bevagna, too, has multiple treasures including 1st AD Roman baths, 19th.c gem of a frescoed theater, re.-created merchant's home of the early 1300's..and the local tailor, Umbria's best butcher..and the bakery, all deserve time..and stops.

..and in Montefalco, do not miss the Agostinian church..fascinating relics there! Bizarre ones, too. Of course, the San Francesco Museum is a highlight

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

Ali-May-99 ....why don't you tell us what YOUR interests are.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

Thanks for the info everyone.

I have 4 nights in Assisi because I want to see something other than the big cities of Rome and Florence.

I've got 2 nights in Orvieto as well, as my 'jet lag' recovery town. (after 36 hours of flights and transit, I wanted a town of quiet and beauty to recouperate!)

I'm fascinated by the idea of small hill-top towns and really just want to walk around, soak in the atmosphere, take some photos, marvel at the historic streets and alleys, and maybe check out any historical sites.

I read on an old blog somewhere that both Spello and Spoleto are connected to Assisi by train, BUT the stations are at the bottom of the hills and there are no connections up to the old towns. As much as I love a walk in the country, I dont' want to spend an hour hiking up a mountain, when for the sake of joining a tour I could easily connect to both places.

Are there connections from the stations up to the old towns, like there are in Assisi and Orvieto?

If so, I'd be happy to just take myself by train and wander around for a few hours. To be honest, I'm more in it for the 'flavour' of a hill-top town, than really needing to tick off all the important sites. I'm sure I'll bump into plenty of amazing churches, castles and monuments without evey trying :)

Thanks again - it's a solo trip so I'm trying to do as much research as possible so I can arrive prepared and ready to soak it all up. Oh - and I'm in Assisi the 2nd week of July, after a week in Florence, and before a week in Rome.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

Easy to stroll up into Spello and Spoleto from train........and wonders all the way..and head over to the cemetery from the Spoleto train station......ask for "cimitero"..wondrous.

The Basilica di San Salvatore there is one of the oldest in Christendom - III to IV A.D...and built of remains from Roman temples

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

Ali-May-99....

I had felt that you were more interested in GAZING versus history/facts/ :)

I'm similar - I like to FEEL the place I am visiting - to sense life there....especially with two major cities before and after Assisi/Spello/Spoleto it will be nice to meander the historic streets and view the amazing Umbrian Valley - eat lots of gelato and sip many cappucini.

My suggestion still stands that if you want to see both Spello and Spoleto in a day, you can take the train quite easily.

www.trenitalia.it - the site is in English.

Buy your tickets when you get here so you can have the option of changing your mind or your times.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guide for Spoletto and Spello from Assisi

Brilliant - thanks alaskaitaly. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Glad to know it's not a major hike into either town from the station. Sounds like I can indeed do both in one day and save a full day for Assisi itself.

Thanks for the interesting historical info Anne - sounds like I'm going to enjoy these glorious towns.