We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assisi or Perugia?

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Assisi or Perugia?

We will be traveling from Giulianova (in Abruzzo) to Bolsena (in Lazio) and have an extra night to spend in Umbria along the way. We would like to travel through Assisi and Perugia, but are torn about which town to stay in. Anyone stayed in one or both? any suggestions for hotels/B&B's? Thanks

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assisi or Perugia?

I suggest Assisi. It is smaller, you can see more of the sites in the day you will be here, easier to get around, etc.

When will you be traveling?

In the off season, a few of the hotels drop their rates by nearly 50%. Though I live in Assisi, I've had recent occasion to stay at a few of the local hotels - I can personally recommend

Hotel Belvedere (during off season-rate for a lovely full size bed, newly rennovated, great shower, friendly owners...at 45 Euro per night) It is located close to Santa Chiara and the main piazza. I stayed in #2 which has a balcony with views over the valley.

Hotel Alexander-sister hotel of Hotel Dei'Priori...just 1/2 block from the main Piazza-great location...around 55 Euro during off season. Get room #3 with views on the valley and the bells of Chiesa Nuova.

Hotel Grotta Antica-owned by a generous man-Oscar-clean, OK shower and bath, basic, television, very close to the main piazza AND Oscar has the restaurant directly under the hotel where he does all the cooking-fab. pasta. price high and low season is around 40 Euro a night.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
207 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assisi or Perugia?

Alaskaitaly, may i ask when exactly is offseason?

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assisi or Perugia?

Offseason would be now, after Christmas and Ephiney, until mid-late April. Assisi has a huge festival in May. Offseason would again start after St. Francis Day (mid-October) thru mid December. Although I got half priced rooms during Christmas.

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assisi or Perugia?

Having been to both, would also say Assisi for similar reasons. I found Assisi particularly pleasant at night when all the day tourists had left.

Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Assisi or Perugia?

Thanks to everyone for the info. We'll be there in Italy late March/early April, probably not the best of weather but that's when I could get great airfares. We went last year in April and it was just fine. I had already decided Assisi, and we've booked into a 13th century castello apparently just outside the town. Can't wait!

Mannheim, Germany
Level Contributor
222 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Assisi or Perugia?

Assisi!!! We just returned from a weekend in Perugia and Assisi. Perugia is pretty, but there is SO much to see in Assisi and the people were so friendly. Assisi is stunning with the Basilica di San Francesco, the Basilica by the train station, the Fortress and the many churches. Stay at San Rufino or its sister hotel Il Duomo. The price was great and it was clean and large. The staff was very nice. We paid 44 Euros for a large double with bathroom at Il Duomo. Hotels are a little more pricey in Perugia. Perugia is only a 20 min train ride to Assisi, so if you must visit, make it a day trip and stay in Assisi.