We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel in Assisi?

KF
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel in Assisi?

We will be in Italy at the end of May and would like to stay in Assisi one night. We will not have a car. What is the best place to stay in Assisi?

Thanks for your help!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel in Assisi?

Hi Kf,

I think the best place to stay in Assisi is the Residenza d'Epoca San Crispino(check the reviews). I have stayed in Brother Sun(the large 2 bedroom). It has about the most spectacular view in all of Umbria. They,usually do not take 1 day rentals,but it all depends on the occupancy.

No breakfast, but the Nescafe espresso maker is worth the price. Located in the center, so surrounded by good restaurants.

Assisi is really beautiful and interesting.

Cheers!!!

KF
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel in Assisi?

ricardoBA,

Thank you! I did find through Expedia where I could get it for one night! Is the large two bedroom actually two separate bedrooms? We have 3 people traveling together and that would be perfect!

Thanks once again! You seem to be answering all of my forum questions! My next question will be in the Siena forum, care to advise?

All the best!

KF

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel in Assisi?

Kf,

The Brother Sun(largest apt) has two large bedrooms separated by the living room. There are two complete bathrooms. One bedroom opens up onto the large terrace along with the living room/dining room. Both bedrooms have spectabular views, along with LR/DR. It's an exceptional apartment!!

I will pass on Siena(love it) and allow the local experts to suggest. However, if you want to stay in a small village in Chianti;just let me know.

Buon Viaggio!!!

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel in Assisi?

San Crispino is lovely.

BUT if phone service is important to you...they do not have capabilities of you receiving calls or making calls from your room and only take messages during the times their reception desk is open. Some of my friends recently stayed there on my recommendation and this was a problem for them.

One night may not be too much of a concern for you though...

KF
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel in Assisi?

Thank you for your help! I will look up San Crispino.

Happy New Year!

KF

KF
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel in Assisi?

RicardoBA,

Tell me about the little village in the Chianti region... If we don't plan on having a car will it be difficult to get to?

Thank you for your time and your help!

KF

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel in Assisi?

Hi,

Happy New Year,

Without a car, a good village in Chianti would be Greve. It is about 30 minutes via SITA bus service from Florence. The SITA bus station is just right side of the train station.

It is the capital of Chianti and offers many services as for restaurants, wine tasting,etc. It has a wonderful local market on Saturday morning. The most famous deli in Tuscany(FAlorni) is located on the main square. The old wine cellar is lovely with tastings of all the wines of Chianti. There are lovely walks from the center in the countryside through the vineyards to other small villages(Montefioralle). The local buses stop in the center with connections to all the small villages of Chianti and Siena along the Chianti Wine Road. There is small hotel on the town square with swimming pool. It is,also possible, to rent apartments on the town square for 1 week with terrace.If you look at website pictures, you will see the terraces in the town square.

You would not be disappointed with Greve. It is loved by all persons who visit. May is the perfect time to visit.

Cheers

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,581 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel in Assisi?

One more thought.... A good point is brought up about phone service. Many of the villas and residences visited in Europe have limited phone service.

It is a good idea to bring your mobile phone(make sure that it has GSM Europe capabilities and that you can roam from your service/Cingular has this capability for extra fee) from the states. This is a good idea for a short vacation. If you are staying for a long visit;then you should purchase international phone(unlocked);then purchase TIM sim chip here in Italy for receiving and calling. It is much cheaper than roaming with your states phone. With TIM chip all calls received are free and local calling is at discounted local rate for Italy.

Hope that this is helpful

KF
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel in Assisi?

RicardoBA,

Great advice as usual! Thanks for letting me know that! I have so many notes, I am swimming in them! :-) As always, if you think of anything else just post away!

KF