We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

Washington DC
Level Contributor
13 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

Has anyone ever taken a taxi from Foligno train station to the center of Assisi (not the train station)? How much did it cost and how long did it take?

I'm looking at that option when I go by train from Rome. I have to change trains in Foligno anyway and when I get to Assisi, I will need to get on a bus or a taxi up the mountain. So I thought it might be faster to just get off in Foligno.

Mentioned in this post
Foligno
Foligno
Province of Perugia, Italy
Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

No need to take a taxi from Foligno - easy to change trains and taxi from Assisi train station is 15 E to the center of Assisi ( 3 km away) -

Taxi from Foligno would be at least 50 E

Mentioned in this post
Foligno
Foligno
Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

there are also buses from train station to Assisi - and buses run every 1/2 hr and quite often nearly coincide with train arrivals. When will you be in our area?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,704 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

Ditto just change trains it will be heaps cheaper.

EM.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
13 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

Thanks to everyone's reply. I hope to be in Assisi on the morning of July 6. I knew the train goes all the way to Assisi but I thought I'd save time by getting off in Foligno and just taking a cab from there. I'm on a rather tight itinerary. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Foligno
Foligno
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

You have two choices to save money by avoiding a taxi:

1. Get off the train at SM Angeli station, then take the local APM Perugia city bus up the hill to Assisi (service every 30 minutes daily); OR

2. If you were already in Foligno, take the Spoletina bus to Assisi Piazza Matteotti (service several time a day from Monday through Saturday).

BTW, there are also direct trains from Rome to Assisi-SM Angeli station which do not require a change at Assisi. Check the Trenitalia schedules.

In your case, option 1 above is probably the preferred choice.

Schedules:

www.ferroviedellostato.it

www.apmperugia.it

www.spoletina.it

Edited: 6:34 am, June 10, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Foligno
Foligno
Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

You'll spend more time hauling your bags to the street to catch a taxi then just changing trains...take the bus from Santa Maria to Assisi (depending on where you are staying - Piazza Italia/Porta Nuova/Piazza Matteotti) - cost only 90 centessimi for the bus and plenty of room for luggage on the bus.

OR - can you find a EuroStar train that goes directly to Assisi? They are faster and you won't have to change trains in Foligno.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde
Foligno
Foligno
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

There are also direct regionale trains from Rome to Assisi which cost one-half that of the Eurostar, yet take only a few minutes more. The Eurostar train on this route is a rip-off for American tourists!!!

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

Gosh GAC - do you really think so? I am very happy with the Eurostar - and for the little bit extra money, I always buy a first class ticket. I get more space - most often a larger seat - and I like the direct route. I also appreciate the comfort level after a long flight.

True, if there is a regional train direct to Roma - then that is great - but I certainly don't think the Eurostar is trying to rip off tourists ...seeing that most who travel on the Eurostar live in Italy.

A first class Eurostar ticket from Rome to Assisi is 27,00 Euro...around $32.00 US. I spend infinitely more than $32.00 in gas when I drive my car from Rome to Assisi!

A second class Eurostar ticket from Rome to Assisi is 21,00 Euro...$25.50 US...again, not what I would consider a rip off at all!

Regional Train First Class - $18.00

Regional Train Second Class -$11.50

Perhaps you had a bad experience on a EuroStar - but it is not the norm - and I would suggest your negative comments should not deter our forum members from using the EuroStar if it meets their scheduling needs.

Mentioned in this post
Roma
Roma
9 Reviews
Assisi, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

Absolutely the informatioin I needed! Thank you! I want to go the other way & the Assisi train to Naples has a 2 hour wait in Foligno. Taxi is too expensive but bus is great! It will take a little figuring out. The website has a schedule from 2008!

Mentioned in this post
Foligno
Foligno
Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from Foligno to Assisi and back

All trains to Naples go via Rome..and do not know of any train from Assisi to Rome via Foligno requiring a 2 - hr wait.

???????????

Mentioned in this post
Foligno
Foligno