We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assisi as a base for touring the area?

NY, NY
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Assisi as a base for touring the area?

We are looking to explore Assisi, Spello, Spoleto and Saragano. Ideally, we would like to stay in Assisi, but wasn't sure if it is our best choice logistically-speaking.

We will have a rental car and plan to spend 1-2 full days exploring Assisi. For the other remaining 1-2 days we have allotted for the remaining aforementioned towns, will it be cumbersome to go from our hotel to the parking lot to get our car and then drive around the area?

If it's easier than I think, are there any hotels you recommend for this type of itinerary?

Thank you!

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assisi as a base for touring the area?

Of course, Assisi is an excellent location from which to explore the area.

I suggest you do a quick search on this Umbria forum by using the search box on the page - and look up past postings on this very subject. There are MANY!

You can park in Matteotti parking or one of the other parking areas depending on your location of hotel. You are allowed to drive into the historical area to leave off your luggage at your hotel - and many hotels will give you discount passes for the parking in the lots.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Assisi as a base for touring the area?

In doing a quick search, I have come across a lot of information as it relates to train/bus travel, visiting Assisi for the day, and recommendations for various parking lots. The results of my search have been limited in terms of finding information regarding the most efficient way, area, path, hotel, etc. for getting in and out of Assisi over the course of several days. I did come across two hotels that were mentioned as being good for daytripping (& will take a look into both), but I was surprised that I didn't come across more; although you said I would so I'm guessing I am not searching correctly and additionally, it will probably take more time on my part than just doing "a quick search".

I used the following phrases - "Assisi as a base", "day trips from Assisi", "hotel with parking" and "hotel on outskirts of Assisi". I have also given a cursory look to the threads you've commented on (last four months).

If anyone has a recommendation on key phrases or have previous links that they can share, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assisi as a base for touring the area?

I did say, in my earlier post, that most hotels in the historic area will give you discount passes to stay at any one of the main parking lots. All the parking lots are outside the walls and will make easy access to the road going out of the city to other areas in the region.

So any of the hotels inside the historic walls would work if you kept the car outside the walls...you can drive your car in to most of the hotels within the walls and drop your luggage off at the hotels and then drive to a parking area.

Assisi is not a large city - making it a perfect location to have the historic, sacred, beautiful surroundings with shopping, restaurants, outdoor cafes/bars and easy access to other areas of the region by train, bus or car.

There are a couple of apartments on www.vrbo.com which offer onsite parking - and are within the historic walls.

You haven't given any parameters as to price range, number of rooms, etc. for a hotel to give you any specifics. Is the only concern the access to parking?

NY, NY
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Assisi as a base for touring the area?

Bottom line is we wanted to take into consideration the most efficient way for getting in and out of Assisi when choosing our hotel.

I wasn't sure if certain areas/hotels were better for daytripping than others. I was under the impression that depending on where we stayed, it could take 20-30 minutes to get to our car, possibly less if we take a bus?????

Clearly, I don't know much about Assisi and plan to find some time this weekend to read up on it, which I'm sure will help.

Thanks for the information you provided!!

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Assisi as a base for touring the area?

You can get from the top of Assisi to the bottom of Assisi - walking- in 15/20 minutes...

so you can drive in 5/10 minutes...Hotel Ideale has parking in a good location; you can stay at Hotel Palotta and park in Piazza Matteotti giving you a 5 minute walk to the parking area and immediate access to the main road; Hotel San Rufino - the same to Matteotti; etc.

I suggest you go onto the Michelin site - plug in Assisi - Piazza Matteotti and then Piazza del Comune...you will see the distances to various areas in Assisi.

Truly, you have nothing to worry about. The only consideration with a car, is that, what ever hotel or apartment you choose, you get their exact address so you can check it on the Michelin map for location and ease of access.

Most hotels within the inner walls do not have parking. But that does not mean your stay will be difficult walking to and from the parking areas.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Assisi as a base for touring the area?

Thank you AlaskaItaly. I appreciate the additional information!! I will check out the Michelin site.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Assisi as a base for touring the area?

PREGO! You are welcome!

Wales
Level Contributor
423 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Assisi as a base for touring the area?

I've stayed in Assisi without a car on three occasions and made excursions by public transport. Perugia, for example, is an easy bus ride away. As previous posters have said, the buses stop at either end of the town (Piazza Mateotti & by the Basilica), but are easily reached. I've visited Spello and Spoletto this way. BUT be aware that if you want to go anywhere by train, the station is some distance from the town (in Santa Maria del Angeli), so you need to take a bus/taxi to get there.

Edited: 9:38 am, January 18, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Assisi as a base for touring the area?

Question for Alaskaitaly: We are also hoping to base in Assisi but spend at least one day visiting the area - Spello, Spoletto ??? We are at Hotel Umbra for 3 nights - which parking lot would be best for us? I thought maybe Mojano.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Assisi as a base for touring the area?

Mojano is the closest to you BUT (and some will disagree with me as seems the trend) - BUT - with the hike from Mojano - I would still choose to park in Piazza Matteotti.

It would be an easy walk down to the Piazza to your hotel.

I walk around Assisi all the time and still find it confusing to find the streets to Mojano or to tell someone else how to get there from the center.

If you have lots of luggage, you can always drive into the center to drop off your bags and then drive out to park. There are a few ways to do this -

I would suggest you come into Porta Nuova - drive straight down to the Piazza del Comune (about 3 or 4 blocks - keeping to the right ) - find a place to park- nearer the fountain the better - there are taxi spaces across from the fountain with other spaces (although they are often full - you can pull into one of the empty spaces for a few minutes) - unload your luggage so one of you can take the luggage to the Hotel while the driver just continues around the fountain (keeping to the RIGHT) to the only street you can go 'out' of Assisi - at the end of this street you turn LEFT - go about a block and you'll see the parking area "Matteotti".

If a police officer attempts to get you to move or not to park - tell them you are staying at Hotel Umbra and only need 5 minutes to take the luggage. They can appear intimidating - but they will let you unload the luggage. Just don't plan on parking there for any length of time.

Hotel Umbra is on the Left of the Piazza - seems to be in a little alley.

The driver then only has a two block walk from Matteotti, down hill, back to the Piazza/Hotel.

If you don't have much luggage and don't mind the vibrations of rolling it down the stone streets :) then just come up the hill - parking at Matteotti- and walk with your luggage to the hotel.

VicKen - when will you be in Assisi?