We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

I've visiting Assisi on May 9th 2010 - during the gran finale of the Calendimaggio festival. I'm interested in not only the fesitval but also the Assisi beautiful churches & historical sites. Will those sites be a) open on Sunday and b) open during the festival?

Grazie

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

Che tragedia! Sotto won ...I haven't yet seen the "giudizi" , ie, the full written judgement by the 3 judges..but newspapers indicate that the "veiled" (not really!) verbal offenses of Sopra (Upper Assisi) during the "sfide" (challenges) of May 7th, after the pageant, were influential. The "sfide" always include friendly banter..but seems Sopra went over the line this year.

BIG win for Sotto: first "triplettta", ie, they have won three years in a row for the first time. We of Sopra have done it twice in the history of Calendimaggio.

Pazienza, we are all thinking 2011 now.

(and I am counting the days til the Corsa dei Ceri in Gubbio - May 15th!)

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

Che tragedia: Sotto won. Our Sopra (Upper Assisi) won for the medieval backstreet scenes on the night of May 6th and Sotto (Lower Assisi) won for the song contest final night, May 8th AND the pageantry on the 8th, final day. I have not yet read the "giudizi" or the final judgement (so to speak) of the 3 judges but have read newspaper articles alluding to the "veiled" (ha! so to speak) derogatory barbs made by Sopra towards Sotto in the "sfide" (challenges) which take place in the main piazza after the events on May 7th.. This verbal banter - often in dialect - is a traditional part of Calendimaggio but apparently, Sopra was a bit over the top this year.

Pazienza. We are all thinking now about 2011 but this was BIG for Sotto: their first "tripletta", ie, have now won 3 yrs in a row (we of Sopra have done it twice).

......and I am counting the days now til May 15th in Gubbio: Corsa dei Ceri!

13. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:31 am, November 09, 2010