We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

I've visiting Assisi on May 9th 2010 - during the gran finale of the Calendimaggio festival. I'm interested in not only the fesitval but also the Assisi beautiful churches & historical sites. Will those sites be a) open on Sunday and b) open during the festival?

Grazie

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

Yes, the Basilica di San Francesco and the Basilica di S. Chiara, etc will all be open during the festival.

Also on the Sunday after the end of the Calendimaggio.

We guides cannot speak in the churches on Sunday, however.....due to Mass schedules.

Pls note that best to purchase the 3-day ticket at beginning of April to assure you will have one of the best seats for the final afternoon..and final evening.

Minneapolis,MN
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

Where can one buy the tickets for the Calendimaggio in Assisi?

Are they necessary?

Spello, Italy
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

U can get the tickets at the bottom of this page

assisiweb.com/assisi_calendimaggio_en.html

but you'll see yourself, it's not exactly cheap

If u dont get the ticket in advance u risk u can get in as the festival goes on in the central square with limited seats, the poor ones like me :(

can just hear it from outside but cant see a damn thing

Edited: 6:33 pm, March 08, 2010
Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

It is worth paying for a seat for the festival. The prices shown on the website offered - are for all three days of events.

I have been able to purchase the day's ticket - but I purchased through one of the participants. I THINK you can get them at the Tourist Info office but perhaps one of our other Assisi locals can chime in with some info.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

yes, get the tix for best viewing..from Tourist Office days before...they go on sale in early April...you might have to get the 3-day tix for 4 events, ie, aft May 6, 7, 8 and night of May 8th....amazing medieval pageantry from about 2 30 til 6 30 every aft and then night of 8th, from about 9 30 to midnight.The Tourist Office sells only 3-day tickets right up til the 6th...and then single -day events go on sale each day ONLY if all subscription 3-day tix have not been sold.

An experience of a lifetime.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

May 8th is "gran finale" this year - pls note, as you had mentioned May 9th.

I would recommend purchasing the 3-day ticket to assure you can see the final events on May 8th, both in the afternoon and at night, after dinner. Hope you can stay in the town so as to fully share in the euphoria of the "locals" as they await the final verdict which comes in around 1 a.m.

Hope WE win this year (la Parte de Sopra) as we have lost 2 years in a row to La Parte de Sotto!

Come and cheer your lungs out for Sopra! Sopra! Sopra!

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

May 9th - Calendimaggio is OVER! May 6, 7, 8 - Saturday are the dates.

You MIGHT get a single-day ticket on Sat..if you are at Tourist Office by 8 30...but very risky as the 3-day tickets sell first..and single-days only if 3-day tickets not sold out.

The 3-days include FOUR utterly astounding displays of medieval pageantry: afternoon of May 6rh - 3 to about 6 30 pm, afternoon of May 7 30 to about 6 30 pm, May 8th - GRAN FINALE afternoon of May 6rh - 3 to about 6 30 pm, and then nighttime pageantry from about 9 to midnight!

Verdict announced at about 1 30 a.m (the festival is a competition between "le parti" , ie, the 2 sections of the town) and then the town goes wild.

Try to stay in the town and LIVE this with "the locals".

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

Hopefully the original poster has gotten the message about the dates of Calendimaggio.

Edited: 2:43 am, April 28, 2010
Minneapolis,MN
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

Thanks for all the info.

I should have replied earlier.

I have booked tour with anne's Italy and can't wait!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Assisi in May 2010 - Sunday - Calendimaggio Festival

Okay Anne, who won?

(signed) one of your Loyola U. tour members