We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

assissi in a weekend

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wicklow, ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
assissi in a weekend

Do you assissi-knowledgable people think that a weekend is ample for checking out assissi. I am interested in a 2 week stay but as I understand public transport seems to be a problem in this neck of the woods. IF I decide to stay in tuscany on the train route and then visit assissi over a weekend will that suffice? Or am I pushing it a little

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: assissi in a weekend

Assisi is VERY easy to access by public transportation - the train stops there and there are buses.

So staying in Assisi for a weekend or two weeks or two years - is not a problem.

Check out www.trenitalia.com - you can see the routes to and out of Assisi....2 to 2.5 hours to Rome and the same to Florence.

Assisi is in Umbria - the Heart of Italy - the center....

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: assissi in a weekend

Do not mind a visitation or two to Assisi but as it is terry tourist town its possibly better to stay in an alternative walled village where it is a bit less inhabited by the white shoe brigade.

You can then visit any sectors of Umbria and pick the quieter times to do the odd graven imaged centres.

Suggestions would be bevagna,montefalco,Trevi,spello or such like.....buses are not to much of a problem once you get organised.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: assissi in a weekend

Sandrabol, when are you visiting Italy?

I have this disagreement with the last poster often...because I live in Assisi, I have a different opinion and more knowledge of times of tourist activity. There are times when there are lots of tourists in Assisi - but - it does depend on the time of the year you would be visiting.

If I were on public transport (which I believe you say you are) - I would NOT choose Spello, Bevagna or Montefalco as my base.

None of them have train service (the train does stop in Spello but the station is at the bottom of the hill - making it a very long walk to get into the historic center. This is especially difficult if you are arriving at night or during the middle of a hot summer day.

I like Spello, Bevagna and Montefalco very much - but again - having a car is a must for these places.

4. Re: assissi in a weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 18, 2009