We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

Belgium
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

Hello,

Perhaps my question is not so easy, but I'll try...

We've planned a last-minute flight for 2 to Perugia for July, and now we're looking for a stay in a B&B or small hotel with a swimming pool, not to for from a citycenter, so we can walk (or have a small ride with the car) in the evening, to get the atmosphere in the town: a local meal, a good glass of wine on a nice terrace.

I was thinking about Montofalco, Bevegno, Spello, Perugia, Assissi (or are these two to croudy half july?)

Looking forward for some good suggestions ...

Ankebel

Milano
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

In general accomodations with pool may be quiet far from the center (=no walking distance), if you have a car this will not be a problem, I would not stay in Perugia or Assisi (but for sure visit them) as they are more crowded then the other mentioned places.

I am going to south Umbria very soon (guest of friends having a house there), it is a lovely Region and I am nearly sure that even in July it will be not too crowded.

In your case I would try to find an accomodation in the center of the Region, in this case you will be able to easily drive to other towns. It is very difficult to say where as all the towns you mentioned are fantastic as well as others like Orvieto, Todi, Gubbio etc etc).

Edited: 6:10 am, June 13, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

We made this agriturismo our base a few years ago and drove from there to visit all the places you mention as well as many others:

http://www.laghirlanda.it/

3. Re: B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:05 pm, July 06, 2013
Belgium
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

Alvast dank voor de eerste mooie tips. Alvast eentje is er al niet meer vrij :(

Andere tips zeker nog welkom, we gaan een auto huren, maar willen liever toch niet veel verder dan 5 km van een sfeervol stadje zitten, kwestie van na het avondeten geen lange ritten meer te moeten doen.

5. Re: B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 am, September 05, 2013
Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

The Assisi area is the PERFETTO place for exploration of Umbrian and southern Tuscan hilltowns. From Assisi, you can explore the following HILLTOWN GEMS (listed below, followed by driving time from Assisi - locations preceded by * are accessible by train):

*Perugia - 20 mins

*Spello - 15 mins

*Spoleto - 40 min

*Lake Trasimeno (lovely lakeside towns to discover, eg, Panicale, Castiglione del Lago, etc) - 50 min - 1 hr

*Narni (what a gem - a personal favorite) - 1 hr - best by car so that you can return via Ferentillo, S. Pietro in Valle, Scheggino - spectacular drive

Orvieto - 1 -1/4 hrs (train takes over 2 hrs as not a direct route)

Deruta - 20 mins

Torgiano - 20 mins

Bettona (tiny gem) - 20 mins

Todi - 50 mins

Norcia (and all the Nera River Valley is STUPENDA)- 50 min

Bevagna- 30 min

Montefalco 40 min

Gubbio 50 mins

Città della Pieve - 1 hr

................all of the above in Umbria

...........and in so. Tuscany:

Cortona - 1 hr

Montepulciano - about 50 mins

Pienza - about 50 mins

Montalcino - 1 hr?

Siena - 1 - 1/4 hrs (and buses daily to and from Asissi)

S. Quirico D'Orcia - 1 hr.?

................AND

Rome and Florence each about 2 - 2 - 1/2 hrs by train and trains frequently . about every 2 hrs......

Belgium
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

Thanks for the great tips.

It seems that one week is much to short to discover this beatutiful part of Italy. We will have to retrun again :)

Meanwhile we have decided to stay at two different places: 5 nights in Montefalco (www.lacardoncinavacanzeinumbria.it) and 2 nights in http://www.borgodicarpiano.com/ (seem to be in the middle of nowhere, at 12 km from Gubbio).

We look forward to a really relaxing holiday eather than a driving-holiday :)

Edited: 2:23 pm, June 15, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,933 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

We stayed in a rather "undiscovered" town/city, Foligno in a very stylish B&B, Villa dei Platani. Great price, excellent service, parking included and a few blocks to the town centre and amazing restaurants. We had the most fabulous meals. From there drove to Perugia, Assisi, etc. While I love Perugia and Assisi, I personally would find it hard to stay there, specially if you want to be in the Centro Historico. You have to park your car in a parking lot outside the walls and navigating with luggage through cobbled streets isn't easy. And yes, some of us still travel and need to travel with luggage.

Edited: 3:00 pm, June 15, 2013
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

Hello everyone. AssisiAnne ... My wife and I have been reading your posts and suggestions about Assisi and environs with great interest. We will be in Assisi (for the second time) September 25-26-27. We love classical music ... Do you know of anything noteworthy happening in the area in that regard at that time. Also we want to do a wine tasting complete with wine tour and full dinner. Can you recommend a couple of wineries or tell us how we might best one. Thank you for all of your wonderful posts.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: B&B or small hotel near by (little) town for 1 week in July

Hello everyone. AssisiAnne ... My wife and I have been reading your posts and suggestions about Assisi and environs with great interest. We will be in Assisi (for the second time) September 25-26-27. We love classical music ... Do you know of anything noteworthy happening in the area in that regard at that time. Also we want to do a wine tasting complete with wine tour and full dinner. Can you recommend a couple of wineries or tell us how we might best one. Thank you for all of your wonderful posts.