We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
518 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

Okay, please don't skewer me . . . I understand and respect that this delicacy is loved by most, but I just can't stomach them . . . just the smell does me in. It's really the only food I'm averse to. So I thought I read there were certain areas that specialize in truffles truffles and more truffles. I want to make sure we gear our April visit elsewhere. We're looking to stay in or very near a village and eat our way into oblivion . . . we love food . . . just not truffles! : )

Northern Umbria better than south?

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

Choose amongst Terni, Orvieto or Trasimeno Lake.

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

I don't understand your problem... The truffles isn't present in every restaurant of Umbria!!!

You can read the menu outside the restaurant and choose a restaurant without dishes with truffles.

However, the northern of Umbria is famous for the white truffles of Città di Castello.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

I don't understand what you mean either. Truffles are expensive and there is not an unlimited supply so no way are you going to find truffles on every menu, let alone in every dish. I think you have misinterpreted what you have read.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,284 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

I adore truffles, but I have found them in very few restaurants and even in those where they are offered, the aroma tends to be restricted to the table ordering them and for a very short time. However, I understand that the aroma is penetrating. As advised, just look at the menu before entering.

Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
518 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

Thanks everyone. I guess the italian restaurants around where I live are more "trendy" cause they seem to put truffles in everything during the season . . . and I do have a hard time finding something without them. Now on to my next food dilemma: convincing my son to eat and appreciate cheese before we go!

6. Re: Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:38 am, December 18, 2014
Arlington, MA
Level Contributor
518 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

Thanks Jennifer! Knowing that the smell that bothers me here won't be what I encounter in a "real" truffle dish, perhaps I'll even try it if I run across an interesting dish.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,954 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

That is a lot of generalization; if a restaurant here in the states say the dish has truffles, it will have truffles. Yes, truffle oil used in dishes here but it will not then claim to have truffles in the dish.

I find the aroma of truffles (not just the oil) to be strong - I personally like it, but don't expect to have no aroma from the real deal.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

I would not say that the real deal has no aroma. But one could liken it to artificial strawberry flavour versus the real fruit. More complex but more delicate. I second Jennifer obeservation though, truffle oil to those who know truffle is pretty sickening.

No worries Tamsen you will not be subjected to that so often. In April we have wild asparagus and artichokes. These are the real delicacies of the season!

10. Re: Area of Umbria NOT over run with truffles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 12, 2014