We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Siena worth giving up a day in Florence for?

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Siena worth giving up a day in Florence for?

Hi Everyone,

I need some advise please. I'm going to Italy for 12 nights in May. I only have 3 nights in Florence. Is Siena worth giving up one of those precious days in Florence? Any help making this decision is greatly appreciated, thanks

David

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Siena worth giving up a day in Florence for?

Yes, there are direct trains between Siena & Florence, it is just that the train station is 2 km outside the centre, so not as convenient as the bus which takes you into the centre. I think maybe LL was thinking of the journey between Pisa and Siena, which is exactly as she described by train.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Siena worth giving up a day in Florence for?

Actually, I was definitely thinking of Siena. WHen I tried to make this journey, it took forever, requiring changes of trains once or twice depending. This meant the journey could be up to 2 or 3 hours in some cases! I found this frustrating and just have taken the bus since then.

If a route has been added or I was just mistaken then my apologies - and thanks for the info in any case! I'll look forward to taking the train next time then if there is indeed a direct route now. Happy happy joy joy! ;-)

LL

Tuscany
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Siena worth giving up a day in Florence for?

Train service between Florence and Siena has been improved recently.

It still suffers from the fact that the rail path is all but straightforward (you actually go west until Empoli on the Pisa line, and then go southeast), but at least there is a good number of direct trains now.

In practice, you'll have a train leaving from Florence to Siena at :10 minute past each hour - say 8:10, 9:10, 10:10 and so on.

The same is for the way back - a train leaves from Siena at each :18 minute.

Travel time is around 90 minutes both ways.

There are even other trains doing only the Siena-Empoli trip, in-between the direct trains' schedules, so that a connecting train to Florence and Pisa is available in Empoli.

You can download the complete timetable here:

trenitalia.com/Allegati/memorario_linee.pdf

Maybe a train or two has slightly changed its schedule since this PDF was issued, but it's a matter of few minutes.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Siena worth giving up a day in Florence for?

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I am DEFINITELY going to Siena! Thanks again.

:^)

15. Re: Is Siena worth giving up a day in Florence for?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, August 22, 2009