We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

We will be flying into Rome and out of Rome (from Philadelphia)

I thought it would make sense to do the hustle and bustle of Rome first, then go to Siena (exploring Tuscany for 4 or 5 day) for more relaxation.

However, since our flight is out of Rome at 11:15 AM, we would have to leave Siena the day before -- to overnight in Rome prior to the flight.

Would it make more sense to land in Rome -- and then exhausted from the long flight, try to drive to Siena right away? Then come back in Rome and be there for the remainder?

Or would it be better to land in Rome -- stay in Rome for 4 days or so. Then go to Siena and Tuscany? Which means we will have to leave Tuscany the night before our flight, and overnight in Rome again?

Not sure. What is best?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

CeasarP,

Since you will lose about a half day packing, checking out and traveling, Iwould go to Siena first. Another option would be to go to Orvieto about, an hour train ride from Rome, the first day then rent a car there to go to Siena. Or to avoid driving while jet lagged just take the train to Siena, about three hours with one change at Chiusi, then rent the car in Siena.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

Can you rent a car in Chiusi?

I'm not looking forward to dragging luggage around between trains either?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

Yes, there is a car rental in Chiusi.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

Are the trains from Rome to Chiusi as safe as the Eurostars from say Rome to Florence.

I'm a little concerned about taking a more "local" type train.

Will tourists stick out like sore thumbs on this train to Chiusi?

And where in relation to the Chiusi train station are the car rental places? Are they right there?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

Oh, one more question. How long is the drive from Chiusi to Siena -- if we decide to do that?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

CaesarP,

Yes, the trains are safe. It is unlikely you will be the only tourists on the train. I think that there is a car rental place near the train station and one a little distance, maybe a ten minute cab ride, away. It will take you about an hour and a half to drive from Chiusi to Siena.

One other option is to take a bus from Rome to Siena http://www.sena.it/

U.S.
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

I had this same dilemma when I first started trip planning (tho we are also going to the Amalfi coast). We decided to go straight to the coast, then to Tuscany, then to Rome. I would think you'll have more of a chance to regroup in Siena, then gear up for Rome.

I hope you have a great trip!

For the poster re: the Senabus. We are debating how to get from Monteriggioni to Rome - car to Chiusi and train, or car to Siena then bus.

I haven't seen any posts from anyone who has done the bus & don't know how it compares to the train. I'd think you'd have more room on the train, as well as the ability to move around.

Your thoughts?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

Candigirl870,

From Monteriggioni to Rome I would probably drive to Florence to train to Rome. This would be the fastest.

Comparing the bus and train from Siena to Rome. The train has more room and you can move around and it has toilet facilities. The bus has better seats and you don't have to change and carry bags up and down stairs.

Whittier, California
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

I returned from Italy a couple of weeks ago after travelling through Italy including stays in Rome and Siena. I flew into Rome and stayed there for several days, then took a train to Siena. I would not recommend trying to fly to Rome and then exhausted, drive to Siena. The drive there should be enjoyed and rushed. My only exception would be if you have done something very similar to this before and don't mind the long hours of travel. It is a wonderful place!

U.S.
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Siena first, then Rome -- or Rome first, then Siena

Thanks Travelsitaly.

Do you mean there would be no toilet facilities on a 3 hour bus trip from Siena to Rome? (am I reading the senabus schedule right that that's how long it takes?) I am going to post this question on the other, bus related thread in case you don't see this one. No need to answer twice. Thanks in advance for your help.