We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halloween costumes for little ones?

Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
461 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Halloween costumes for little ones?

I have found that Halloween is not really celebrated in Italy the way we celebrate in the states. However, I have two little kids and we always make a big deal of Halloween by having a huge party at our home for all the children. They are so upset we won't be doing that this year, so I thought I would surprise them by bringing costumes on our trip and let them wear the costumes on Halloween while we do our tourist thing.

I am hoping they will be pretty much ignored by everyone and just enjoy their dress up for themselves. I just want to make sure we won't be picked on/targeted in any negative way if I do this. We wouldn't do trick or treating, obviously. It's more about the dress up for them... Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Halloween
Halloween
416 Reviews
Genoa, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Italy
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halloween costumes for little ones?

I live in a small town, smaller than Siena, and every year on Halloween afternoon there are kids around wearing their costumes and nobody targets them. Some of them usually come into my shops asking for candies and they always get it! It's not a big thing like in the States.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halloween costumes for little ones?

Halloween is growing year by year in italy. Even if it's not as important as in the usa, it now became a sort of horror carnival, lots of people dress up in costumes and go to parties or clubs enjoying Halloween themed events.

It's basically an excuse to celebrate a little more with friends. You won't have any trouble with your kids and I wouldn't bother with bringing your costumes, you can easily buy or rent in almost every costume or toy shop.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,048 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halloween costumes for little ones?

Here is a link about Halloween 2014 in Siena, in Italian only I'm afraid: www.regioni-italiane.com/halloween-siena.htm

mesh

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
461 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halloween costumes for little ones?

Thank you all!!!

United States
Level Contributor
9,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halloween costumes for little ones?

The last few Halloweens I've been in Italy I've seen adults dress up. One year in Ravenna, a woman just poured bags of candy out her upper floor window to a group of children in the street below while the crowd clapped. The celebration has certainly grown over the last few years. Of course the ultimate in dress-up at that time of year is the Comics Festival in Lucca.

TAB

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Ravenna
Ravenna
Province of Ravenna, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,026 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halloween costumes for little ones?

While I personally dislike the spread of this foreign festival, or whatever it is, Italians love little kids and are not going to disapprove of their going around in fancy-dress, for whatever reason!

7. Re: Halloween costumes for little ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 24, 2015