We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Siena

5 posts
Save Topic
One day in Siena

I will be taking the bus from rome to Siena in the early AM and leaving to Florence next day in the afternoon.

What are the musts in the city?

Thank you guys!

Excited for my first time in Italy!

Level Contributor
63 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Siena

If you are there on a Sunday they have a parade where everyone wears their families colors and preform flag routines with drums. I believe that's how our tour guide described it to us anyways. It was unexpected but we are very glad we caught the parade. So if you are there on a Sunday around noon I would try to catch that.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,425 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Siena

Siena is wonderful.

1. the Cathedral -- just stunning plan to spend some time looking at the floor, the incredible interior, the Piccolomini library, and don't forget the baptistry underneath the Cathedral

2. Campo -- have lunch just to enjoy this beautiful square.

3. a bird's eye view. Best from Torre Mangia (you can get a twofer ticker for the town hall and tower climb) You can see my last climb here: …wordpress.com/2011/…

if that climb is too much, you could get a pretty good view from the old wall of the Cathedral (left unfinished from the time of the black death) it is accessed through the museum and easier than the torre.

4. the town hall and the murals of good and bad government as well as other art

5 if time, stroll through one of the contradi

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Siena

Thank you so much janettravel44!!! 😃

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Siena

Good to know! I will be there on a sunday! Great that i am gonna be able to see that!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Siena

traveler,

See the campo where the palio is run.

Palazzo Pubblico, town hall, has Sienese art including Ambrogio Lorenzetti's Good and bad Government.

Climb the Torre di Mangia for a breath taking view of the city.

The duomo is has a great exterior and is filled with works by Donatello, Bernini, Michelangelo, and Pisano as well as containing the Libreria Piccolomini. Even the floor is covered in art.

The bapistry and crypt are beneath the Duomo.

Spedale di Santa Marie delle scalla is a 1000 year old hospital that has huge works of art.

The archaeological museum under the hospital.

Museo dell'Opera del Duomo.

The above is only part of what you can see in two of the piazza. There is much more.

Siena is a medieval town that can be enjoyed by strolling in almost any part. After the daytrippers have left it can be much more enjoyable.

6. Re: One day in Siena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:39 am, December 25, 2013
Hamburg, Hamburg...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Siena

Hey , I am just back from my Italy trip, I am writing below places in my preference order...I really loved Florence ....

1. piazza michelangelo...bus no. 12 and 13 both go to this place ...You will get an amazing view of florence from there..its definitely not to miss ...bus stop is Campo

2. The Duomo (entry free to cathedral) , it is really one of most beautiful cathedral I have ever seen.

3. Watch the Gates of Paradise , which are just opposite to the Duomo...

4. Neptune Fountain and Piazza Signoria ..Replica of David's Statue is here . It is only 5 mins walk from duomo.

5. Ponte Vechhio...Its one of the famous bridges .its the only bridge with Houses built upon whuch got survived during World War ...When you will reach Piazza Signoria you will get signpost for this bridge and I think its again 5 minutes from there. Go in evening.

6. If you have time please do go to San Lorenzo Market ..its on the oppsite side of duomo ..opens from 9 AM in the morning and I think closes around 8 PM..but they offer best prices and lot of variety in leather goods..

7. If you are an Art Lover then go to Uffizi gallery and Academia (original David)

City's main squares (piazza) look so beautiful in night.

Everything is centrally located..Duomo, Piazza Signoria, Neptune Fountain, Ponte Vechhio..you can quickly cover them...You only have to go to a different direction for Piazza Michaelangelo but it is worth going .

Edited: 5:56 am, November 27, 2013
Hamburg, Hamburg...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Siena

Sorry guys I wrote about Florence.. :(

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,425 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Siena

you thought the Duomo in Florence was beautiful? The dome is of course beautiful and a marvel and the tarted up facade is arguably attractive but the interior is one of the most boring church interiors in Florence IMHO

10. Re: One day in Siena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 29, 2014