We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas week.. Are places Open?

mullica hill, nj
Level Contributor
174 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas week.. Are places Open?

We are arriving in Siena for 2 nights on December 26, after spending Christmas in rome. I have been to Siena before, but not sure what to expect the day after Christmas. Will bars and restaurants be open? I'm sure it will be cold, but a good meal and some Tuscan wine should do the trick.. Planning on maybe driving to San Gimignana for lunch, just because I have never been there. Any thoughts or suggestions? As usual thanks to all for your great insight.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Tuscan Wine Tours by Grape Tours
Tuscan Wine Tours by...
2,653 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas week.. Are places Open?

Absolutely, it's very much business as usual and the town is usually crowded (not unpleasantly so) with Italian visitors. All the cafes in Il Campo have terrace heaters, one I know even offer blankets, so it's possible to sit outside and not freeze, we always have drinks outside in December in Siena. And you are so right as to our local cuisine and Sangiovese being the most perfect way of warming up in winter. I've posted before that with our heavy, hearty food and full bodied reds, winter is definitely the best time of year to enjoy the local produce. San Gim too is lovely in winter and very easy to get to.

Mentioned in this post
Il Campo
Il Campo
319 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
mullica hill, nj
Level Contributor
174 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas week.. Are places Open?

Thank you for your response, I am glad to hear I can still enjoy a Campari at Ill Campo, my favorite thing to do in your beautiful city. We usually park our rental car near the stadium, do you know if that free parking is still available. We are staying at Alma Domus, they do not provide parking.. What is your favorite restaurant in town, always looking for a good suggestion from a local. We can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Alma Domus
Hotel Alma Domus
887 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas week.. Are places Open?

Still free parking up by the stadium but it fills up fast. Re restaurants, impossible to say re the best as it depends upon our mood. However, I guess for regular Tuscan fare at good prices you can't beat La Finestra on Piazza di Mercato but Da Divo although pricier is another favourite. Now best bar is far easier - that's Il Palio - if it's a very cold day sit at the back of the terrace closest to the heaters. It's absolutely my favourite place for a Campari soda, though perhaps try it too with a splash of prosecco in place of soda for a seriously good drink. They serve great cocktail snacks to accompany their drinks.

Mentioned in this post
La Finestra
La Finestra
733 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Il Palio
Il Palio
105 Reviews
Siena, Italy
mullica hill, nj
Level Contributor
174 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas week.. Are places Open?

OMG I can't believe you suggested La Finestra, I Never miss going there when in Siena, It is by far my favorite in town! My first visit to Italy many years ago started in Siena with a Campari at Il Campo then dinner at La Finestra.... It is my fondest memory! So glad you confirmed my choices.. Grazie

Mentioned in this post
La Finestra
La Finestra
733 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Il Campo
Il Campo
319 Reviews
Siena, Italy
Even-yehuda
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas week.. Are places Open?

Do someone know at what Piazza is the Christmas market in Sienna?

Thanks!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas week.. Are places Open?

I don't think it's exclusively Christmas, I think the poster said "medieval", but there's a market in Il Campo on 14th / 15th December this year - or so the publicity claims. Can't remember there being one there on this weekend before so have no idea what it will be like.

Mentioned in this post
Il Campo
Il Campo
319 Reviews
Siena, Italy
7. Re: Christmas week.. Are places Open?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 11, 2014