We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to Siena, Siena to Rome by train?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
92 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Florence to Siena, Siena to Rome by train?

I've already bought the train pass before I read that it's easiest to get to Siena by bus. If I've to go by train, will that cost a lot more time and hassle?

plus, if I get off the train at the Siena station, can I walk to the city center and rest of tourist spots?

if train's my major means of transportation to/fr Siena, should i stay in a hotel near the train station? any recommendation anyone?

UK
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence to Siena, Siena to Rome by train?

Found on the web:

" The train station in Siena is located approximately 2 km from Siena's historical centre, a five minute bus ride - buses leave regularly from Piazza del Sale. Buses numbers 3, 8, 10, 17, 77 leave from the station to Piazza del Sale and bus #17 departs from Piazza del Sale for the train station. If you don't mind walking uphill, you can also walk to the centre in about 20-30 minutes: Exit the train station, turn left, walk past the bus park and then uphill, bearing right at the traffic circle, staying on the road called Viale Giuseppe Manzini. Go through the city walls, and follow the road as it bends sharply to the right. The road becomes Via Garibaldi, which will take you into the city."

2. Re: Florence to Siena, Siena to Rome by train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:11 pm, February 16, 2015
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence to Siena, Siena to Rome by train?

maizebb,

Relax, it is not a big deal. just a little more time and a little more hassle to go to Rome by train. You will have to change trains in Chiusi (a small station so no problem). Do not go through Florence that will cost you more (reservations).

See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187902-i332-k4450…

to avoid the uphill walk.

I would stay close to the center not the train station. Think how many times you will be going into town as opposed to the train station.

Edited: 12:58 pm, July 08, 2013
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence to Siena, Siena to Rome by train?

I'm sorry, but the website quoted in no. 1 answer is out of date. The walk from the station to the town center is now much easier.

By two years, in fact, there is a system of escalators which from the train station of Siena leads directly at the north end of the old town ("Porta Camollia").

To get an idea, please open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e15wLFJj_TQ

The route:

Exit the station, cross the square and enter the mall that is in front. Go up the escalator, and then the next: there are - if I remember correctly - seven flights of escalators (or belts) that quickly and easily lead you to Viale Vittorio Emanuele, at the same level of the old town and only 100 meters or so north of ancient "Porta Camollia." From here all the major sights of Siena are at walking distance.

So, about the hotel, you can look for someone which is near "Porta Camollia."

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence to Siena, Siena to Rome by train?

Sorry, I didn't realize that travelsitaly had already given the same information

Brun066

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence to Siena, Siena to Rome by train?

The train route Siena-Grosseto-Roma is lovely! On the first leg, Siena-Grosseto, between the Buonconvento and Monte Antico stations the train runs through the valley of the River Ombrone: the valley is narrow and lonely, with no villages or roads and almost no houses: a piece of inusual wilderness in the middle of Tuscany.

But consider carefully the timetable (and the connection in Grosseto), because there aren't many Siena-Grosseto trains.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
92 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence to Siena, Siena to Rome by train?

Thanks for the great advice everyone responded! It's very helpful.

I'm now looking at hotels near Porta Camollia. Looking at those escalators, bringing along my suitcases should be OK I guess. I was considering leaving the luggage at the Siena train station and kinda struggling about the bus ride to the old city.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence to Siena, Siena to Rome by train?

However, there aren't - sadly - left luggage facilities at the Siena. The Italian State Railways for budget reasons have left open these facilities only in the larger stations. For the whole Tuscany, just Florence and Pisa:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

9. Re: Florence to Siena, Siena to Rome by train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 11, 2014