We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bird watching near Siena

Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Bird watching near Siena

I am going to siena in mid August ...any advice on birdwatching in the region? I will have a car and two kids aged 7 and 9 with me.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bird watching near Siena

So many places, the countryside all around is buzzing with dozens of different types of birds. There's a bird sanctuary down in the Val di Chiana on Lago di Montepulciano. Please see link here: amicianimali.it/itinerari/montepulciano.html

I only had a quick look on-line and couldn't see anything in English but you can probably figure out the days of opening / how to get there from the Italian. You go out on little punts with a guide for what is really a very enjoyable experience, and it's such a peaceful place. Next door Lago di Chiusi is also good for bird watching, as is the Val d'Orcia. Obviously, what you see varies according to the terrain but you'll find all sorts here as the conditions move between wetlands near the river, pastures and the mountains of Amiata. (We've seen eagles up there and huge great buzzard type birds.) It's a subject I keep meaning to read up on so if you do go, please report back on how you found it.

2. Re: Bird watching near Siena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 08, 2014
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor