We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help: Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Lake Como and Milan

North Woodmere, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help: Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Lake Como and Milan

This will be our second trip to Italy. Last trip we visited Venice, Florence, Siena (1 day) Rome, Amalfi Coast and Capri. This year we will be returning for 2 weeks the end of Sept. beginning of Oct. We are a couple in our 50's and would like to spend time visiting the hill towns in Tuscany, then onto Cinque Terre, Portofino and maybe some the coastal cities around there, onto Lake Como, possibly a day in Lugano and our end our trip in Milan. I am having a little difficulty planning the itinerary due to availability of accommodations, how many days to spend in each area and just the logistics of travel. I would have liked to do Tuscany first but the last week in Sept. is booked in a lot of resorts I have emailed. First week in Oct. still seems to be available. We plan on renting a car for Tuscany. We will be flying in from NY and have not decided if we should fly into Pisa, Florence or possibly Rome due to not finalizing our definite itinerary. Need some help! Also if anyone can suggest some villas, hotels, agriturismos (with pool) in Tuscany, hotels in CT or Lerici, and also Lake Como area that would be most helpful (mid range rate).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help: Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Lake Como and Milan

I have just finished an itinerary for a week in Tuscany (following 3 days in Rome and preceding 2 days in Brixen and the Dolomites). We usually fly into Rome and hire a car there then drive north to Siena. Perhaps you could forego the pool (although most villas have them) as it is getting a bit cool early October. The only time I have swum in Tuscany has been early to mid Sept. There are so many sites for accommodation around Siena - we are staying in a 3 bedroom apartment in a villa in Monteroni d'Arbia and find we have easy access to anywhere in Tuscany from here (because we have the car). Perhaps try to pick villas near rather than in Siena (if that's where you decide to base yourselves - and that is what we have done for the past 7 years). I have also travelled to Siena from the north on a couple of occasions - one year we stayed in Cinque Terre, another year we stayed in La Spezia and took the train in and out of Cinque Terre. Staying in La Spezia was easy as was hiring a car there and leaving it in Rome when we left. Another year we did the drive to Lake Como and stayed on top of a mountain at a place called Brunate. We had a car but the roads around Lake Como are a little hairy and we visited Bellagio (a lovely little town) by bus. I think your 2 weeks might be a bit rushed. Maybe just pick a few places and come back another year...you can easily fill a week in Tuscany. Try to research festivals and market days. I travel with friends who are similar ages to you and we have fantastic holidays each year.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help: Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Lake Como and Milan

I saw you've been to siena . to enjoy Tuscany you shall also visit San Giminiano , Fiesole and lucca . you can give it all 3-4 days , including a half day trip to Pisa .

in lake como , the best part is Bellagio , the pearl of lake como . you can spend there 3 nights including a day trip to lugano and a visit to Balbienello villa in Lenno .

Tupelo
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help: Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Lake Como and Milan

We just returned from 2 weeks in Italy, mostly in Tuscany but also Rome, Siena, Florence, Venice, Cinque Terrre, Pisa and numerous cities in Tuscany. I can't say enough great things about the villa Feinile on the Muricciaglia Estate midway between Castellina and Radda and not far from Siena or Florence. Mimma, the owner, can help you plan your day trips in Tuscany. This is a great central Tuscany location from which to travel in all directions. Be sure to visit some of the smaller villages nearby that Mimma will suggest.

Don't try driving into Cinque Terre. Instead, leave your car in La Spezia and take the boat or train to Cinque Terre. One-half day may be more time than you need to explore Pisa. You can rent a car in Siena or Florence, but driving in Florence near the train station is a challenge with all the narrow one-way streets and heavy traffic.

North Woodmere, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help: Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Lake Como and Milan

Thank you everyone for your valuable information and advice!

5. Re: Itinerary Help: Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Lake Como and Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 07, 2014