We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vespas in Siena

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Vespas in Siena

Where can you rent a Vespa in Siena? Are they hard to learn how to drive? Can you take a Vespa from Siena to Cortona or are they more for short little trips?

Roseville, CA
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vespas in Siena

I have the same questions - need info please!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vespas in Siena

No, no good for traveling. Vespas are just scooters, good to get around in a city or to rent for a countryside tour for no more than an hour. On the highways Vespas are not allowed.

I can see the romantisicm tied to Vespas and the fascination they can have for a tourist, but even in Rome or Florence downtown, where you'll see millions, I suggest you do not rent one. Chances of injurying yourselves are high because of how the locals on cars and on other Vespas drive. There is not such a thing as share the road it Italy. Even if you have a motorcycle US license I wouldn't recommend it.

This is not the classical prejudice about driving in Italy. I generally tell people that the stories about Italian drivers are crazier than reality and that it's totally fine to drive a car in Italy. But with motorcycles and scooters is another matter.