We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hired a car - train connections nearby?

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
110 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Hired a car - train connections nearby?

Hello, We have hired a car for our week in Tuscany however are a bit confused about the best place to pick it up as after reading lots of advice we have decided NOT to drive in the Cities - coming from NZ we will need to come to terms with drinving on the 'wrong' side of road! We are staying in Siena near San Gimignano and when we leave are travelling to Salerno. Which is the most convenient Train Station with an Avis close by to leave the car and travel DIRECT to Salerno - we are trying to avoid going in to Naples or Rome? Thanks Vicki

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hired a car - train connections nearby?

Try Florence...It's about 40 mins to San G on the dual lane hwy (barrier down the middle). I think the car depot is a short walk from Santa maria Novella rail. You catch a Eurostar Italia which goes Rome direct, stay on the same train to go to naples and then Salerno. Train takes about 3 hrs which is much faster than you can drive. We did the reverse trip last year, but had Europcar. The drive to SMN is almost straight thru Florence, only about 2 or 3 lefts and rights.

If you go to Siena you'll probably need to change trains either in Florence or Rome.

Driving on the wrong side is not so hard as you think..it's when you get home and you use the wrong controls on your own car to indicate or wash windows. Just remeber to keep the passenger in the gutter!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,252 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hired a car - train connections nearby?

I'm not sure where the closest drop-off is. We avoid the big cities, driving in them, also. We always leave Tuscany and drop our car off at Fiumicino Airport in Rome. It's pretty easy getting into the airport since it's about 16 miles outside of Rome. We then take the shuttle train to Termini and the Eurostar to Naples.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
61 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hired a car - train connections nearby?

If you can help NOT having a car in Siena you'll be better of, provided you stay in the city center of course. A lot of the city center is a pedestrian area, so try avoid having to drive into the city center.

I myself took the plane to Florence, then the Airport Shuttle bus to the main bus-terminal in Florence, and took a bus directly to Siena. The buses went a couple of times per hour. The buses were modern, comfy, and had A/C. Not very pricey either. No problem at all. Ask you hotel in Siena about the details. I got help from the hotel I stayed in there.

Tuscany
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hired a car - train connections nearby?

You can drop off your rented car in Chiusi.

Take the Road from Siena to Perugia and in Bettolle follow the signs for the A1 highway. Take take the highway direction Rome and after 25 Km you will find Chiusi - Chianciano Terme Exit. Follow the signs to Chiusi and then to the train station. Just oppsite the train station there is the Avis office. Check your train schedule to Salerno on www.trenitalia.com

Have nice stay in Tuscany!