We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

Plan on visiting Tuscany in September 2013. Will need to rent a car to visit as many towns as possible in the Tuscan region. My hotel owner advises I can rent a car when I get to the hotel as there is a car rental agency 2KM away. Any thoughts/ideas as to why to not rent a car a Florence airport. Any recent experiences dealing with car agencies in Florence and/or Tuscany. Please advise.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

sempre21,

This may help tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c146632/Tusca…

I think getting out of Florence is easier (safer) than getting in. The airport location avoids the problems. Usually you get a better rate renting a car before you get there. Autoeurope is a broker that has a good reputation.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

It may depend, also, on where you will be before/after Siena. If you are flying in and out of Florence, then it makes sense to pick up/drop off there.

I would compare prices on picking up/dropping off in Siena or doing the same in Florence.

September is such a beautiful time in Tuscany! Buon viaggio!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,931 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

Car rental www.auto-europe.com www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an International driving permit for Italy.

Traffic and ZTL area info roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

www.discovertuscany.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

I only need the car in Tuscany. I am arriving in Florence but going directly to Siena

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,253 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

You will have more choices if you rent at the Florence airport. There are only 3 or 4 companies represented in Siena....all fairly close to the train station.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

The hour of operation can also be restricted at the Siena location. If you only need the car for a couple of days and you plan on staying in Siena for a few days without the car, why not see if it can work?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental

Actually, I plan on basing myself in Siena but plan on travelling throughout the other towns was wondering if renting a car was the best option. I want to go to Montepuliciano, Chianti, Monteggrini etc. As much as I can absorb in 5 days.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental

I agree with previous posts. Florence airport may have more car options especially if you need an automatic. The car rental agencies will be closed during holidays and Sundays and may have reduced hours on Saturdays.

Where will you be staying in Siena? Is your hotel within the city walls? If yes, then make sure you are allowed to drive in with your car. There are restrictions and penalties.

As for day trips, I highly recommend the drive to Assisi. It was pretty easy driving (mostly on the highway) and as you enter the town, there is a large parking lot just below the basilica.

9. Re: car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 03, 2014