We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

Is ten nights to long to spend in the Siena Area? We are staying in a hotel inside the 'walls' - Palazza Ravizza - any one stayed there? How central is this? Have been to Siena 10 years ago but only for half a day - this time want to get a 'feel' for the region. We come from a high quality wine producing area and are keen to sample local wine - prefer smaller wineries if any one has experienced!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

hi BeagleM (aw, we had a beagle too when I was growing up. love 'em)

I haven't stayed directly in Siena, but around it (in dif. parts of Tuscany). You will be centrally located to visit lots of great spots (the scenery in Southern Tuscany is amazing...i.e. 'Crete Senesi' & 'Val d'Orcia'):

Pienza, Montalcino (drink some Brunello for me...Fattoria dei Barbi has a wonderful restaurant right next to it's tasting Cantina - it's down the hill from Montalcino in Podernovi, along a road filled w/vineyards), San Quirico d'Orcia, Montepulciano, Arezzo, Cortona, Radda in Chianti, Greve in Chianti, Gaiole (Badia a Coltibuono vineyard), etc. One winery I wanted to get to, but didn't have time (& may have needed an appt??) was Uccelliera...really like his wine.

Here are some websites to check out...happy planning:

consorziobrunellodimontalcino.it/brunello/…

http://www.fattoriadeibarbi.it/index_e.html

uccelliera-montalcino.it/Inglese-vecchio%20s…

www.coltibuono.com/0index.asp?Lingua=ing

www.chianticlassico.com/english/home.htm

(PS I've enjoyed drinking Penfolds [389?]...what small producers should I look out for from your area?)

Tuscany
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

Ten nights is definitely not too long to spend in the Siena area. We return to this are year after year and discover new wonderful things every time. Regarding wineries, try Aiola in the village of Vagliagli, Felsina close to Castelnuovo Berardenga and Castello di Lamole. We also like Fattoria dei Barbi in the brunello area.

Enjoy your stay!

siena
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

Ten nights are perfect! but you must not stay just in the city-center. Rent a car and drive around SienA. You will fall in love!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

We've used Siena as a base for exploring part of Tuscany and it worked out well. We stayed at Palazzo Ravizza in 2001 and some friends stayed there in 2004 and 2005. We loved the place. It had great breakfasts and a wonderful garden to eat it in.

The wineries are plentiful and wonderful. The Brunello area around Montalcino is where we went last year. We did a tour and tasting at Altesino Winery, you can see their place on the net. Great pecorino and prosciuto, along with the wine.

jerryott@dtnspeed.net

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

We've used Siena as a base for exploring part of Tuscany and it worked out well. We stayed at Palazzo Ravizza in 2001 and some friends stayed there in 2004 and 2005. We loved the place. It had great breakfasts and a wonderful garden to eat it in.

The wineries are plentiful and wonderful. The Brunello area around Montalcino is where we went last year. We did a tour and tasting at Altesino Winery, you can see their place on the net. Great pecorino and prosciuto, along with the wine.

jerryott@dtnspeed.net

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

Thanks for the response - We are hiring a car from Naples and driving up to Sienna keeping the car for the duration of our stay. My partner would like to do a 'day trip' to Venice from Siena. I am not so keen! Is it realistic to do this trip for one day?? I am more keen to visit Cinque Terre - is this a realistic 'day trip' from Siena?

Once again thankyou all for your insight to this area. Also visiting Positano for 5-6nights before Siena - any one familliar with that region??

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

It's a 3-4 hour drive from Siena to Venice, not counting any detours, getting lost, or stopping for lunch. Once in Venice, if you spend say 5 hours, which doesn't BEGIN to be enough to enjoy it, you'd be gone about 13 hours. To me, it wouldn't be worth it. Save Venice for another trip. Try a daytrip to Assisi, Deruta, or somewhere in Umbria if you've seen all you want in Tuscany.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

Hi Brooklyn - yes penfolds is in our 'City' - lots of wines to look our for from S. Aust - recently took an overseas guest to the Barossa Valley. Some of the highlights were Elderton Wines (theirblend called CSM was magnificent), Rockfords Wines (Basket Press is their flagship), Peter Lehman - to many to mention.

Look at these links to the major wine areas - my personal favorite area is Coonawarra but these three areas are world class. We love our wine industry in this region.

http://www.mclarenvale.info/wine/

http://www.barossa.com/site/page.cfm

http://www.coonawarra.org/home.asp

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

With an option of 10 days in Tuscany (as much as I loved it) or a week in Siena and 3 days in Venice, my choice would be the latter.

Venice is magical, unique and unforgettable. But definitely not as a day trip.

You will have more than enough time to fit in one or two nights in Venice and I am sure you won't be disappointed. My husband wasn't keen, but he loved it.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 nights in Siena - Hotel Palazza Ravizza

excellent wine links, Beagle...thanks so much.