We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Siena

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Siena

We have finally settled on an itinerary for our 10 day honeymoon in Italy. The bulk of our trip is going to be spent in Tuscany, where we are hoping to take in the sites but also get a taste of the quieter side of Tuscany. I did some research on the Tuscan countryside and although it sounds amazing, I just don't think that my fiancee could deal with a true agiturismo experience. Instead, I am looking for a compromise. I have read that staying just outside of Siena will give us the feel of the countryside (rolling hills, etc) but with the convenience of the city not far away. It sounds like the best of both worlds (avoiding the hustle and bustle of the city itself but easy access to it and hotel amenities plus the feel of the Tuscan countryside). Someone suggested Villa Sccciapensieri. Any thoughts on whether this plan is truly a compromise, if I'm missing some obvious downfall? and the hotel suggestion?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Siena

I am not familiar with this property, but I am with Tuscany and Siena. I looked at the reviews and many were in Italian. This tells me it may not cater much to Americans. I have no problem with this, but you need to know if English is spoken and if good transportation is available. You could email the property. From what I could tell, there is bus service. If you have a car, you are good.

You may want to also look at Castello Di Spaltenna in Gaiole, Palazzo Leopoldo in Radda.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Siena

We think that both Castello di Spaltenna and Palazzo Leopoldo are wonderful choices. We'd also suggest checking out Relais Fattoria Vignale (www.vignale.it), which is also in Radda.

Closer to Florence is Villa Bordoni, one of our very favorite places on the planet (www.villabordoni.com). It's just outside Greve in Chianti.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
794 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Siena

FYI - Villa Scciapensieri is under specialty lodging in Siena and has a lot of English reviews in trip advisor. Greve and Radda are 30km North from Siena.

Nikki it's a good compromise staying outside the walls and want to rent a car to avoid the ZTL's.

Are you going to rent a car? You can see and drive to small towns during the day such as Pienza, Volterra, Orvieto, and the sometimes overrated but nice to see San G and Cortona.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Siena

Villa Bordoni is great, but you have to have a car. Long dirt road in, unless it has been paved lately. Doubt that!!

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
794 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Siena

Nikki

You have the same question both in Florence and Siena. As hint just post your questions in the Tuscany forum. You wil probally get more answers or advice that way

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k60401…

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Siena

By my personal experience look tuscan Villa le Capanne (find it on tripadvisor tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g1879… ) this villa with pool is located near siena and the price is affordable, my best friend has been there a year ago . The Tuscan countryside is very beautiful, but in addition to Siena you should also visit Florence and Pisa (two beautiful cities of art), the cypresses of Bolgheri and the towers of San Gimignano.

Good honeymoon!

Edited: 3:38 pm, January 16, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Siena

Look very carefully at any place outside the walls of Siena. Siena is on top of hills and most places outside require some walking to get there, uphill and often on roads without footpaths or lighting.

I suggest you look at street view on Googlemaps, using the little yellow man to "walk" along the roads, before deciding.

We would rather stay in the town and be able to have a drink with dinner and wander safely at night and go touring during the day, for which a car is really a necessity.

8. Re: Honeymoon in Siena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 18, 2014