We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Building own day tour-suggestions?

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
966 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Building own day tour-suggestions?

We are a family of 8 (all adults) who will be spending 3 nights in Siena in May 2013.

We will not have our own transportation so I am working with my travel agent on putting together a day tour in a van so see the surrounding area.

She suggested San Gimagnano and Montelpulciano. My cousin who has visited often said to go to Montalcino instead of Montepulciano. My head is spinning!

We would also like to incorporate a winery (or2!) and a nice lunch into the day.

I would love to here from TA members who have suggestions on what we should do/see on this tour!

Thanks!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,222 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Building own day tour-suggestions?

Agreed! I would also recommend going to the Val d'Orcia towns over San Gimignano as they are still authentic Tuscan towns and have not been given over to tourism in the way San Gimignano has. I think seeing two or three is a day is perfectly possible, although I would start with Montepulciano as it requires the most energy if you want to walk right the way up (and you should).

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Building own day tour-suggestions?

lastraniera - Will we easily find the "lovely old bakery" when we visit Montalcino?

We also have the market noted as well as Pienza's on Friday.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,840 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Building own day tour-suggestions?

The bakery is easy to find - depending upon the direction of the wind, some days you smell it long before you see it! (And, my, does it smell good.) It's on Via Saloni. If you're standing in Piazza del Popolo with cafe la Fiaschetteria on your right (great place for morning coffee), ahead you'll see two streets making a fork, the one on the right going sharply uphill, the one to the left on the flat. Luckily you take the left. Go straight (you'll l'Osticcio on your left then le Cantine). You shortly come to a small crossroads, go straight, the bakery is about another 50 / 70 yards down the street on the right.

Re markets, the one in Pienza on a Friday is pretty small and not really worth a visit unless you're self-catering in the area and need urgent supplies of fruit and veg. (There's barely anything else.) Montalcino, on the otherhand, is a good one and sprawls from the square just below the fortress down the street and up the other side of the hill to beyond the Coop. There's everything here including clothes, shoes, bags, etc. It gets going around 8.30 ish and runs until 12.30 ish.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Building own day tour-suggestions?

Thanks lastraniera! My other half, a bakery connoisseur, also thanks you!

The Montalicino market sounds wonderful.

Yes, we are self-catering (Chianciano Terme), so supplies will be needed. We are so looking forward to shopping the markets.

15. Re: Building own day tour-suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 22, 2013