We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palio di Siena 2012

Sofia, Bulgaria
3 posts
Save Topic
Palio di Siena 2012

Hi,

Does anyone know what time does the horse racing actually starts on the 16th of August? I was thinking of travelling from Perugia on the day but the coach gets there at 12. Do you think there is any point of attempting to get to the square if I arrive at that hour?

londonderry, N.I.
Level Contributor
262 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palio di Siena 2012

Hi, we went to the Palio in July this year, we took a coach from where we were staying and arrived into Siena at 12:30, we were in loads of time. We went into the square around 2pm and got a prime position, the race started at around 7pm although there was probably a 2hr parade in the square before the race. It's an amazing spectacle.

regards Connie

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palio di Siena 2012

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187902-i332-k4644…

Canberra
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palio di Siena 2012

That should get you in to the Piazza del Campo, but see if you can get to see the horses going in to the church to get blessed before they head off in their respective contradas. Also straight after the race get up to the Duomo for the Te Deum. You'll need water, sunscreen, hats and some food as you will be in the sun.

Canberra
Level Contributor
2 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palio di Siena 2012

That should get you in to the Piazza del Campo, but see if you can get to see the horses going in to the church to get blessed before they head off in their respective contradas. Also straight after the race get up to the Duomo for the Te Deum. You'll need water, sunscreen, hats and some food as you will be in the sun.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Palio di Siena 2012

I just hope those well-meaning folks who justly complain on TA about the treatment of carriage horses in Rome also object strongly to the Palio. It is a dangerous and cruel horse race and most years one or more horses have to be destroyed after injuring themselves. There are moves to have it banned but so far without success.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Palio di Siena 2012

I'm not sure what I said in my post of yesterday to have it promptly removed. Anyway, I'll try again.

In my personal opinion the Palio is detrimental to the horses' welfare. They regularly get injured with inevitable consequences. It is not a spectacle that I personally would enjoy.

7. Re: Palio di Siena 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, August 14, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palio di Siena 2012

The posts were not removed by TA staff. When the message says the post "was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community", it means just that. A number of people have clicked on "Report inappropriate content", and the system has deleted the post.

In this case, I think you should contact TA staff and ask that the posts be reinstated: you certainly should be able to express an opinion that the horses are mistreated. Send an email to forumsupport AT tripadvisor DOT com.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Palio di Siena 2012

Thanks sydneynick very much. I will.

10. Re: Palio di Siena 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, August 14, 2012