We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is scooter better option for exploring tuscany?? no...

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
milan, italy
2 posts
Save Topic
Is scooter better option for exploring tuscany?? no...

Since my friend and I dont have an internation license, we cannot rent a car and explore beautiful tuscany siena country- are we able to rent a scooter instead? Does anyone have an idea if this is a better option and the costs/requirements?

Sandpoint,ID
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is scooter better option for exploring tuscany?? no...

You can get an international license from AAA for $20 with no test of any kind... simply location your nearest AAA travel office. for us it was in a nearby (less rural) college town. Once you have that, you can rent the car.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is scooter better option for exploring tuscany?? no...

We didn't have an international license and rented a car with no difficulties. I think a scooter would be far more dangerous on the tuscan roads, especially some of the hairpin turns.

Check autoeurope.com (phone listed there) for more information but I think a valid drivers license with photo ID is all you need.

San Diego, CA
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Is scooter better option for exploring tuscany?? no...

Here is a great site for all general questions regarding travel to Italy. http://www.italiantourism.com.

Italy recognises driving licenses and other traffic documents that are valid in other countries. U.S. and Canadian driving licenses are valid in Italy but the license must be accompanied by a translation or an international license (check your local AAA in USA or CAA in Canada). For motorists not in possession of an International Driving license, the ACI (Automobile Club d'Italia) will issue a declaration upon presentation of a U.S. or a Canadian license. The declaration is obtainable at any ACI offices. Seat belts are compulsory in Italy.

london
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Is scooter better option for exploring tuscany?? no...

How old do you have to be to rent a car in Italy?

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is scooter better option for exploring tuscany?? no...

ioneluxe -

I noticed that nobody explained that AAA is the Auto Club in America. I know there is an auto club in Italy, but I can't think of what it's called at the moment.

6. Re: Is scooter better option for exploring tuscany?? no...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:48 am, May 27, 2006
all over Italy
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is scooter better option for exploring tuscany?? no...

www.travelcar.it could help you!

Sandpoint,ID
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is scooter better option for exploring tuscany?? no...

EquinoxMoon here again... writing from Rome! Just finished driving through Tuscany in a rented car... WAY worth the effort. What an adventure. Get a good map! We used a book of maps from Michelin and the free single page maps provided in most towns here. Bigger towns can be a bit scary, but know where you are going, have a navigator and FOLLOW THE SIGNS. Most directions to different towns are provided by listing the next town or next big town instead of any road name or number; you get the number on the smaller signs after youve made the turn.

Have a great time in Tuscany, we did!

9. Re: Is scooter better option for exploring tuscany?? no...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 13, 2009