We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palio preparations?

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
193 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Palio preparations?

We will be in Tuscany until 7/1. I understand the first Palio is 7/2, but there are "preparations" for a few days before. Can anyone tell me more about this? Where in Siena does this take place? If there are trial races, I think my kids (9 & 11) would enjoy this and we'll rearrange our plans to go to Siena 6/29 or 6/30.

Thanks for any info.

San Diego...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palio preparations?

check out …siena.it/contenuti/…4giorni.html

siena
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palio preparations?

Palio's fest begins 5 days before the race. I assure you will enjoy very much. The best place to live the fest is into the old wall. Anyway live in an apartment or hotel within the old wall means to sleep a little becouse the fest of Palio goes on in the night every day. So if you want to sleep I suggest you to take a room out the city. No problems for your children. But make care if you bring them in Piazza del Campo during the race or the test in the days before.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
193 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palio preparations?

Thanks for the info. We will not actually be staying in Siena, but making a day trip from another town. We will make our Siena day for one of the trial days since we'll be gone by the actual race day :-(.

My questions...

Do you just show up at the Piazza del Campo for the trial races, or do you need tickets?

Is it very crowded for the trials? If it's standing viewing only, I don't think our kids will be able to see. Maybe we should just check out the festivities, etc.

siena
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palio preparations?

Into the piazza you don't have to pay but it's not a good idea if you have children.

There is a big crowd and maybe they don't realise to see the race. Instead, in the stands around the ring of piazza del Campo you have to pay but it is not cheap...