We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

Southern IN
Level Contributor
30 posts
287 reviews
Save Topic
Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

I am trying to find the quickest way to get from Siena to Sorrento at the end of May 2012. We will not have a car, so I need train and bus advise. How far in advance are the schedules available? Should I wait until I get to Italy to purchase tickets or do it a month or 2 in advance? We will be staying at the Siena Excelsior NH--anyone stayed there or know if it is decent? Thanks for your help!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

Timetables are usually published up to 4 months ahead. However, there is no timetable change planned until June, so you can use current times for your planning.

There is no need to book in advance: in May trains will not sell out, and prices of ordinary tickets do not change as the travel date gets closer. If your plans are firm, you can save some money with inflexible advance purchase "Mini" fares.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html and for information about online booking, see roninrome.com/%20transportation/booking-on-t…

You have to use Trenitalia services to get from Siena to Naples. Once there, you go into the basement to catch a suburban train run by another company that takes you on to Sorrento.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

Fastest is probably bus to Florence, Trenitalia to Naples, Circumvesuviana (www.vesuviana.it) to Sorrento.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

Zerlina is, as usual, quite right. Even the Trenitalia site will route you through Florence for most journeys; and a bus is more convenient than a train for Siena-Florence.

Southern IN
Level Contributor
30 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

Question on changing trains in Florence. I see the schedule now on May 28 to go from Siena to Naples. We do have to go to Florence from what I think is a regional train to a FRECCIAROSSA. I assume that is a high speed train? Anyway, how hard is it to get from one to another (never having been in the Florence train station). I think we only have 30min. Are signs only in Italian? I'm a little nervous about that. Zerlina mentioned taking a bus to Flor. where will that drop us in order to catch a train? Any help or suggestions please!?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

The Freccia trains are the fast ones.

Train stations have departure boards, like those at airports, headed "Partenze". They show the departure time, the train number (which is on your ticket for the fast trains), the final destination (which may be beyond where you are going), and the platform (binario) that will be used. The platform will not be posted until maybe 20 minutes before departure, so a 30-minute connection is fine.

For the Regionale train, you must time-stamp the ticket in a yellow machine at the station, and it is then valid for the next 6 hours.

The bus from Siena terminates just next to the train station.

siena
Level Contributor
316 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

Or you could catch the overnight bus that leaves Siena just before midnight and arrives 6.30 am https:/…tripSolutions.php

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

I am arranging a trip around the same time. My travel agent wanted to send us to NH in Siena through a package... reviews on tripadvisor were so so... bad breakfast, rude staff, etc... Will check this post again as we are also heading down that way. She originally had us taking a train from Florence to Naples... seems odd to have to go North to go South though...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

We are travelling from Siena to the Naples airport on 18 Oct. to be there by 1630. Are there any suggestions as the trains from Chiusi don't give enough time to get to the airport.

Are the buses to Chiusi regular and do they serve the trains?

Is a taxi from Naples Central feasible?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

Norma31,

Check trenitalia www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

While the schedule no longer shows Siena to Chiusi to Naples it can still be done you just have to check each portion.

There are taxi and buses from Napoli centrale to the airport.

10. Re: Siena to Naples/Sorrento-quickest route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 25, 2013