We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

differences between villa rental/agritourismo?

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
315 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
differences between villa rental/agritourismo?

Forgive my ignorance, but my head is absolutely swimming as I read about accomodation choices;villa, agritourism, B&B, half board, and the list goes on!!!

I am planning a 3 week trip to Tuscany for late Oct./early Nov. 2011 and would love to have a base to work out of(day trips), and want to feel some of the local culture, atmosphere. Sienna, Lucca,Cortona.

2 adults for the entire stay, with 3 adults stopping for 3 day visit.

Budget $15,000USD

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee help me with all this confusion.

Thank you so much,

Bondgirl

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: differences between villa rental/agritourismo?

You can count on the fingers of one hand villas that rent for two people, and villas for five people are not much more numerous. If you look at any of the villa-rental agencies, you'll realize that the listings are almost all for apartments within villas. "Villa rentals" are generally for a full week, and owners rarely live on site.

Agriturismos are working farms or vineyards that rent rooms or apartments, many offering only.breakfast, some offering dinner as well. Half-board (breakfast and dinner) is almost never compulsory. Owners generally live on site. Agriturismos are in the countryside and require a car.

B&Bs are what the name indicates; they can be in town or in the country.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: differences between villa rental/agritourismo?

For villas - try: www.parkervillas.com

For agriturismi - try: www.agriturismo.it

Personally, I love agriturismi. If you want to truly experience the Italian country lifestyle, then these farm are the way to go. Depending on what they produce, they may offer tastings and tours. You can search via the above site by requirements (pool, restaurant, etc) and region. Agriturismi, though based in the countryside may be very close to a town or village.

Regarding Parker Villas - there are many for just 2 and then 2-6 and so on. You can select by region and number of people. Many offer the services of cooks, wine tastings, etc. Many are independent cottages or homes. Some may be on the site of a winery or olive oil producer. They all rent by the week. The company is very reputable and based out of the US. I have used them many times before.

Half-board (includes breakfast and lunch or dinner)

Full-board (all meals included)

Your budget is more than adequate.

florida
Level Contributor
315 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: differences between villa rental/agritourismo?

Thank you for the valuable information, now I begin my search!

Bondgirl

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: differences between villa rental/agritourismo?

Bondgirl,

you may look for holiday rentals here on TA...many villas or houses are in agriturismo; anyway, the main holiday homes owners may arrange a farm visit or a cooking class...best way is if you directly contact the owners and ask them your questions, you'll surely get in touch with open minded people and you'll better choose...

have fun!!

silvia

florida
Level Contributor
315 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: differences between villa rental/agritourismo?

Silvia, I truly appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I feel like I am getting a better handle on areas, and agritourismos!!!!

Still have tons of questions, so please be my new BFF! LOL

Have a lovely day,

Bondgirl

6. Re: differences between villa rental/agritourismo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 05, 2012