We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena inns or hotels with view of Palio Festival???

Cal
St. Simons Island...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Siena inns or hotels with view of Palio Festival???

We plan to attend the Palio (horse) Festival in Siena on August 16th of this year...Can anyone out there recommend a hotel which has a commanding view of the main square where the Palio Festival is held? I am a photographer who desires to take some great photos from this vantage point...Also, if you have other suggestions about this Festival, please send them on! Thanks in advance...We will be in Siena for this one day and night only to attend this festival before returning to Florence.

Thanks,

Cal

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siena inns or hotels with view of Palio Festival???

Cal,

I don't think any hotel has a view of the campo. If you don't have reservations already good luck. For information on the palio slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/siena_palio.htm

Erin, Canada
Level Contributor
411 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siena inns or hotels with view of Palio Festival???

LOL......yes, I second that......good luck. There are still rooms available at the youth hostel.....1 km out of the city..........

I tried to get a seat and/or window overlooking the campo for the palio over a month ago and the best was 800 Euros!!! - PER PERSON.

I think your photos may at best be candids this time........trying booking next year now......

Atl, GA
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Siena inns or hotels with view of Palio Festival???

It is extremely unlikely that you will be staying in Piazza di Campo for Palio. I would expect any accomodations in Siena to be sparse. Also keep in mind that their will be many things closed on this day.

To see the palio will be spectacular.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
25 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siena inns or hotels with view of Palio Festival???

we, too, are arriving in Florence on 16 August and are heading directly to Siena...must be crazy! luckily, we have reservations in Siena. Any info about the special event, greatly appreciated.

La Mirada, CA
Level Contributor
100 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siena inns or hotels with view of Palio Festival???

Cal:

If you or others are still looking for a room with a commanding view of Il Campo, check out www.vrbo.com/55590 . I booked this room (Il Palio) for my niece last summer because we had taken all the rooms at our B&B.

It's small; can get very hot with the afternoon sun; and people in the Campo may keep you up until the wee hours, BUT it is affordable and in a great location with fantastic views of Il Campo.

I can't imagine it's still available for this year's Il Palio, but you never know. Good luck.

By the way, for more info on Il Palio, I rented a movie several months ago which was like a documentary on the famous horse race and told of the fierce pride and competition among the neighborhoods. It may have been called "Il Palio' and it was subtitled in English, but worth watching for Il Palio or Siena fans.

6. Re: Siena inns or hotels with view of Palio Festival???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, August 27, 2009