We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in San Gimignano for 2 weeks - itinerary ideas??

Which San Gimignano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southport, UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in San Gimignano for 2 weeks - itinerary ideas??

Hi We have booked to stay in an aprtment (in one of the towers!) for a fortnight before Eatser. We are looking for quite a relaxed holiday (I'll be 6 months pregnant!) but also have never been to Italy before so would welcome any input with places not to miss.

Wine tasting is pretty much out (mores the pity!), as I suspect will be any sort of queing, but other than that we would be looking for pleasant day trips.

A couple of specific questions - we will arrive latish on the Saturday. We will be able to get some basic breakfast provisions on the sunday?

Are there any specifics we need to know about driving in Italy. We have done alot of driving in France and not found that a problem - can I expect Italy to be different?

Many thanks

Andrea

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in San Gimignano for 2 weeks - itinerary ideas??

Driving in Tuscany is very easy. Some of the cities are often a problem and many of the hill towns don't allow vehicles inside the walls. Your husband may wish to drive you closer to the town and let you out near the gate and then park the car if walking is too much of a problem. Get a good map of Tuscany and enjoy!

italybound@verizon.net

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
193 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in San Gimignano for 2 weeks - itinerary ideas??

Wow, 2 weeks...so lucky! San G. is pretty centrally located. We based ourselves there this summer with our 2 kids for 5 full days and took day trips to Florence, Siena, Pisa/Lucca and Volterra. Since you have such a good chunk of time, you could add a lot of other towns. We ate out for all meals, except breakfast (provided at our B&B). There is a pretty good sized market in Poggibonsi (I think it's called "PAM"), about a 10 minute drive away where you can get a variety of foods if you're planning on eating in your apartment a lot. Not sure if it's open on Sunday, though.

San G. is very small and we especially liked coming back there every evening after our excursions. After a few days, it felt like our "hometown".

Driving in Tuscany is easy, but you need a good map. Even with that, we always got a little lost, but no worries! There are worse places to get lost! The autostrada is the quickest route to Siena and Florence.

I'm assuming this is your first baby since you don't mention any other children. Be aware that at 6 months pregnant, you will be less mobile than you are now. Don't try to plan too much into one day...you don't need to since you have 2 whole weeks! Although a lot of wine won't be an option, you have a right to eat as much gelato as you wish!

Have fun!

California
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in San Gimignano for 2 weeks - itinerary ideas??

asq1, try reading the reviews and tips on slowtravel's web site, there are also photo's of road signs posted by pualine I think. I did a 2 week med cruise when I was 6 months pregnant with my twins, nothing kept me down and I walked, walked and walked, but having a swimming pool handy was very helpful in relieving tension and swelling. Try to find a B&B with a pool, preferrably one heated. Good luck. We are also spending two weeks in Tuscany in June iwth our now 5 year old twins. I'm seriously considering the San Lorenzo linari resort, but still looking. it is a little further south than we wanted. Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in San Gimignano for 2 weeks - itinerary ideas??

2 weeks is a perfect amount of time.

We arrived in San G on Epiphany Saturday 6th and were very worried about provisions as we have a 1 and 3 year old. There was still a bit open at 9pm in winter and would only be better at Easter. There are plenty of small deli like shops in San G but most of the locals shops are near the Gate Porto S Matteo. There is a Coop shop as you enter the town where the buses park it is sufficent for all your groceries and provisions, but it is shut on Sundays.

Day trips we did.

Cinque Terra

Pisa Lucca

Volterra, Colle d, Montegriggorrio.

Chianti

Pienza, Montepuliciana, Siena

(sorry about the spelling)

Driving will be fine.

Have a great time.

Wakefield
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in San Gimignano for 2 weeks - itinerary ideas??

I hope that you had a great time!

What were your experiences of San G - we go there on Wednesday for 1 week. any tips on restaurants or place s to go?

6. Re: Staying in San Gimignano for 2 weeks - itinerary ideas??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, September 01, 2009