We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Gim Questions/need feedback

Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
San Gim Questions/need feedback

I am trying to plan three nights, two days in Tuscany (coming from Florence, by bus). I know it makes more sense to stay in Siena because there is more to see and do. Also, we like to stay up late having a few glasses of wine at a pub, bar. San Gim seems to shut down pretty early, is this true?

Also, does is make sense to stay in San Gim and then make a day trip to Siena? San Gim just seems more like Tuscany to me.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: San Gim Questions/need feedback

Although a fairly small Tuscan town, San Gim is one that is completely geared up for tourists (and then some) so you will most definitely find pubs and bars open until fairly late in the evening. Even in my own very small, un-foreign touristy village we have a bar that's open until midnight year round to cater for the old guys who want to play billiards and cards, though that may not be quite what you are looking for. I'm not sure everyone will agree with your comment that "San Gim seems more like Tuscany" for it has a rather unfortunate reputation for more closely resembling a Disney-take on a Tuscan town than the real thing. Tourism has really taken its toll on this very pretty town so if you want authentic Tuscany, you'd possibly be better off in some of the quieter contradas of Siena, ie those a little away from Il Campo or around the university.

Edited: 1:34 pm, August 13, 2013
Centreville...
Level Contributor
50 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: San Gim Questions/need feedback

Thanks. I guess San Gim appeals to me more than Siena because it seems more country than city. Hoping to leave during the day and enjoy at night:)

3. Re: San Gim Questions/need feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 15, 2014