We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Gimignano - Must see places

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
San Gimignano - Must see places

My wife, daughter (16), son (12) and I will be spending two nights, three days in San Gimignano in the middle of September.

Can anyone please tell me what the weather would be like that time of the year and suggest that MUST SEE attractions to have a real Italian experience.

Mentioned in this post
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Gimignano - Must see places

Impossible to predict the weather, it could still be warm and sunny with temperatures in the mid to late 20s or it could be the start of the changeable period when it starts to get a bit cooler, fresher and even possibly a chance of rain. Mid-September is very late summer / early autumn so expect anything.

Re must see attractions, for me it's always the striking skyline and those marvellous medieval towers that are especially remarkable when viewed from just outside the town but also pretty impressive close up. I can't speak for all visitors but I rate the numerous galleries and churches in San Gimignano very highly, in particular the Museum of Sacred Art, the works of art in the Collegiata and, for something different, those in the Gallery of Modern Art. The old pharmacy / archeological museum is also very interesting. Climb the Rocca for some incredible views, wander the very pretty, though in mid-September, still rather busy streets. Then venture off the main lanes and you'll come upon genuine Tuscan hill town life with washing hanging out and ladies sitting on doorsteps chatting. If you're staying in the town itself, you'll find the crowds disappear in late afternoon changing the atmosphere considerably. It's a very pretty town and I envy you two nights there.

Mentioned in this post
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Gimignano - Must see places

Thank you so much for the advice, I am so glad that we could stay in this wonderful little town.

We will definitely follow your suggestions to get the real Tuscan Life feeling.

Regards

Andre

Binz
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Gimignano - Must see places

There's some background on the main architecture here: san-gimignano.com/architecture_san_gimignano…

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Gimignano - Must see places

Thank you for this link. It is really informative.

Regards

Andre

Binz
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Gimignano - Must see places

There's some background on the main architecture here: san-gimignano.com/architecture_san_gimignano…

Sandwich...
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Gimignano - Must see places

Any good restaurant suggestions? We will be there August 8th

7. Re: San Gimignano - Must see places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 21, 2014