We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Gimignano to naples

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
San Gimignano to naples

I'm traveling to Italy next month, One of my stops will be staying in San Gimignano and from there i will need to go to Naples, I would like to know what the best option is to get to Naples. I will be traveling with a 10 year old so the easiest option.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,884 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Gimignano to naples

You would need to take a bus to Florence, then a fast train to Naples.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Naples
Naples
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Gimignano to naples

can you pickk up the bus in town in SG? How long is the ride to Florence and how often do they leave? If we were to take the bus and train option, sounds like we could be okay with no needing a car....?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
917 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Gimignano to naples

sitabus.it/forums/…

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Gimignano to naples

Fast train from Florence to Naples the end of September 2011 was 72 Euro, 3 hrs. I knew my dates and times so I was able to get an economy fare for 36 Euro. www.trenitalia.com

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Naples
Naples
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Gimignano to naples

wow, half price is quite a savings. I can estimate my time easily enough. Do I need to look for anything special to get that online discount? then I probably need to print out my tickets?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Gimignano to naples

Thank you for the bus link, Brun! It sounds like the bus from Florence to San Gimignano takes about an hour and twenty minutes:? Or am I reading that wrong? (I thought it was closer to 45 minutes...). Does it operate at the same times on weekends? We will be coming from the train station, train from Naples then transfer to the bus.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Naples
Naples
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
917 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Gimignano to naples

Hi snorkel,

unfortunately, to go by bus from San Gimignano to Florence, you have to change buses in Poggibonsi (at the stop "Poggibonsi FS", that is, the train station in Poggibonsi). This partly explains the long time it takes.

For detailed timetable of the bus from San Gimignano to Poggibonsi, go to:

www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

then go to line no. 130 / R

It also reported the difference between weekdays and holidays.

For buses from Poggibonsi to Florence see the same site:

www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

then go to line no. 131O / A

Of course from the train station in Poggibonsi you can decide to go to Florence by train (direct trains every hour approximately). The journey time is a little longer, but you are less cramped in the seats.

Similar considerations apply if you make the trip-Florence San Gimignano in the opposite direction. The lines to be used are 131O / R and 130 / A.

Have a good trip!

Mentioned in this post
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
Poggibonsi
Poggibonsi
Province of Siena, Italy
8. Re: San Gimignano to naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 13, 2014