We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few hours visit

NH
Level Contributor
111 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Few hours visit

We are staying in Vald'Orcia with a car and plan to do day trips. leaving early am, Asciano on the way, then a few hrs in San G,. What do you recommend we see? A walking itinerary for San G?

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few hours visit

I guess you can see the highlights in a couple of hours in San Gim but it depends what interests you. A lot of visitors merely wander around the streets, which are very picturesque, admire the towers, look in the shops and then leave but personally I would have to include going inside the Collegiata to see those extraordinary frescoes, and the Museo Civico where I would climb the tower for the fabulous views. I also quite like walking around la Rocca. There's lots more art (Museo d'Arte Sacra) and more churches (Sant'Agostino, in particular) but you'd now be looking at longer. Before leaving, I would drive around the village to get a great shot of the town with its towers from a distance. Bear in mind this town is hellishly crowded from Easter through to November and even in winter it can be busy on public holidays or sunny Saturdays. Arrive early for a dawn raid and then get out. We often combine it with the southern Chianti and head over to Castellina or Radda for lunch afterwards.

Edited: 12:07 pm, September 23, 2012
NH
Level Contributor
111 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few hours visit

Great information. We are quite active and like these suggestions on walks and climbs for views. And that is what I wanted to know... that we could then have time to reach Chianti area for a stop or two . Much appreciated

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few hours visit

I always do it this way as I find restaurants so crowded and a bit over-priced in San Gimignano. It requires arriving early though but it's worth it to get to this town early so you can be in and out before the bulk of the tour buses arrive. And it does get very, very crowded here. Look, if you want walks and climbs, let me know where you'll be based in the Val d'Orcia and I'll be delighted to help for it's wonderful walking country around here.

NH
Level Contributor
111 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few hours visit

Interesting on timing to visit these towns. I am wondering if we arrive early will run into trouble if we do not stop all siteseeing during the often mentioned closed hrs of the early afternoon, and have a long lunch. Now this sounds delighfult once in while, but usualy we do not eat much at lunch and like to keep moving.I was just letting you know we were active (lots of hiking and cycling at home) and no issue w climbing steep steps and walking all over the towns to see sites. Except for maybe one day (hot spings /cyc,ling near farm Creatole) too much to see in hill towns to hit the woods or rmtns until Cinque Terre.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few hours visit

lastraniera your posts are always great, I've got heaps of them bookmarked! When you arrive early at San Gimignano where do you park? If it's just outside the town is it much of a walk in? Thanks!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few hours visit

If you're happy to pay you can park in the large car park by Parco della Rimembranza, which is just by Porta S Giovanni and then walk up the main street into the village, this is pretty close. If that's full, just continue on along the road that runs around the town to the west and you'll come to another even larger one below the rocca. It's a fairly short walk from here into the centre. Alternatively, there are usually free spots under the trees along this stretch of road but it's unofficial. If you're happy to walk, there are free car parks on the road coming up the hill from Poggibonsi, I guess the first is possibly 500m away, but the problem is you never know which one to use for you tend to keep on going up the hill thinking there'll still be spaces at the next one and that'll be nearer but when you get there it's full! It's pot luck.

7. Re: Few hours visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 07, 2013