We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

central place to stay

Which San Gimignano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
central place to stay

I will be travelling to Italy at the end of May. I'm looking for a central place to stay for part of that trip. I'm planning on visiting Florence, Sienna, Lucca, and possibly smaller villages in the area. I thought San Gimignano would be a good central location to stay. I will have a car. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
32 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: central place to stay

From San Gimignano you can take a bus to Firenze or Sienna or Lucca. Tickets from the tourist office are less expensive and save trying to find a parking spot in the city you travel to. Round trip to Firenze is 12.50 Euros, while Sienna is 10.40, with buses leaving about every hour. Or you can take the bus from San G. to Poggibossi and then hop the train to Firenze. Parking in San G. can be difficult, depending on the number of tourists. It is central to what you want to visit.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: central place to stay

thank you

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: central place to stay

Is there a place to park a car where you would catch the bus?

firenze
Level Contributor
73 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: central place to stay

I recommend you stay in Certaldo.

it is ideally located 45 minutes by train from Florence, 45 minutes by train from Siena and another 35 minutes to Volterra. Plus you don't have to pay for parking.

The drive to Lucca is tedious and not too attractive. Do drive to Florence then take the autostrada to Lucca.

5. Re: central place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, June 04, 2013