We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Gimignano or Siena (2nts in one place or 1 night in each

Which San Gimignano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paxos, Greece
Level Contributor
131 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
San Gimignano or Siena (2nts in one place or 1 night in each

Hi all

Going to be in Florence for New years eve & then want to visit San Gimignano & also Siena. I know they are fairly close together so would anyone suggest baseing ourselves in one place & just visit the other for the day or should we spend one night in one & one in the other?? We will then move onto Ancona to catch a ferry to Greece, so any other "must see's" would be greatly appreciated. We'll have a car by the way.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,659 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: San Gimignano or Siena (2nts in one place or 1 night in each

In Tuscany, off season starts in late October or early November. I think it ends at Easter, which would be in March or April, but someone else should answer this.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
125 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: San Gimignano or Siena (2nts in one place or 1 night in each

The first few days after the New Year may mean lots of places closed. Also it is midwinter and many restaurants and shops close for a few weeks or have reduced hours. Siena is a larger city and could mean more places open for shopping and sightseeing. You might want to call the hotel/B&B you are thinking of staying at and ask them about this.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,291 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: San Gimignano or Siena (2nts in one place or 1 night in each

If you base in Florence and if you rent a car, use it to go to San Gimignano, which is not reached by train, not to Siena. The historical centre of Siena is closed to traffic, so you'd have to park outside; in this case, a train from Florence - though the station in Siena is off-centre too - would be less expensive and less tiring.

In my opinion San Gimignano is more touristy than Siena. It is very small and one feels as if daily tourists invaded it completely. On the other hand, it is a kind of place that I would imagine a little sad in the night.

In Siena 90% of tourists go along the streets which lead to Piazza del Campo, see it, maybe the Duomo, and go back immediately. There are interesting sites (for instance the Pinacoteca Nazionale or the church San Francesco) and whole quarters not less beautiful than Piazza del Campo where you can harldy see any tourists.

Edited: 3:41 pm, November 17, 2010
Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: San Gimignano or Siena (2nts in one place or 1 night in each

We recently stayed at Hotel Santa Caterina just outside the gates of Siena. It was a magical place, and we couldn't get enough of Siena. Plan to return next year.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,816 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: San Gimignano or Siena (2nts in one place or 1 night in each

Not to confuse you more. Both San Gimignano and Sienna are touristy. the difference is Sienna is much much larger so the bus loads of people are not as aparrent . San Gimignano is lovely, but I find it more expensive and packed with more tourists then other hill towns. That being said I would think January would be a different story. I would decide what kind of experience you want and what kind of activity level do you require.

16. Re: San Gimignano or Siena (2nts in one place or 1 night in each

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, May 19, 2011