We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Gimignano

Mid Wales
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
San Gimignano

I'm travelling alone to Tuscany at Easter. I was thinking of staying in San Gimignano. Is this a good idea? Are there any hotels or B&Bs within walking distance of restaurants?

Last time I went I stayed in Viareggio which was a great base as it had lots of shops, restaurants and the beach. This time I want to explore San Gimigano, Siena, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
denmark
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: San Gimignano

How to spend 16 days well in Tusacany? We plan to fly to Milan, spend 1 night there, drive to Rapallo, spend 2 nights (incl. seeing Portofino), drive to San Gimignano, see Pisa on the way down, spend 6 days in S.G at vineyard, incl. 1 day trip to Sienna, drive to Florence, spend 3 days there, drive to Venice, spend 3 days there. Drive back to Milan from Venice. Is this a good plan or do you have any better suggestions? We have never been to Tuscany before.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,708 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: San Gimignano

It is much better not to have a car in Florence or Venice, if you can manage that. Maybe if you fly out of Venice you could drop the car on arrival at Venice and save three days hire as well. All you can do in Venice is garage it. The dreaded ZTL in Florence means you may have difficulty driving there as well, so maybe stay at a village just out of town and take a bus in.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: San Gimignano

If you're seeing Florence and Venice at the end of your trip, turn the car in when you arrive in Florence and use the train thereafter. A car is worse than useless in both cities; it's an expensive nuisance.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Mid Wales
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: San Gimignano

Hi thanks for your reply.

I probably won't visit Florence again as I went there last year. I was staying Viareggio so took the train as it was much easier.

This time I'm hoping to explore the southern area of Tuscany inc San Gimignano, Siena, Chianti, etc.

Does anyone know of a nice coastal resort south of Pisa?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
25. Re: San Gimignano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 18, 2010