We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
280 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Just back!

Just spent 3 weeks in Europe, including 3 days in San G/Tuscany. Beautiful and hot!! Stayed an Antico Pozzo, quite nice but spartan, but what could you expect from a building over 1000 years old! Loved the town though, very charming. Also went to a number of the surrounding towns, some were great, some less so. Had some pretty nice meals in San G and Siena particularly. Glad to answer questions...

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Hotel L'Antico Pozzo
Hotel L'Antico Pozzo
847 Reviews
San Gimignano, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
London, UK
Level Contributor
522 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just back!

Ilava there are loads of great restaurants in Florence some pretty reasonable and others not so - my favourites are Osteria de Benci near Sta Croce (gorgeous pasta with red wine, and the most delicious roast chicken and potatoes); Buca del Orafo volta del Girolami (which is just between the pontevecchio & uffizi); Vini e Vecchi Sapori a tiny restaurant on via Magazzini just off the Piazza Signoria, the triumvirate of restaurants round Sta Spirito - Borgo Antico (not as good as it was) Osteria Sta Spirito very good and atmospheric, and La Casalinga that good old fashioned hole in the wall. Trattoria Quatre Leone, on via Vellutini lovely, Fuori Porta a fantastic enoteca on the way to San Miniato. I hope these give you some ideas (I know it isn't the Zaza and Il Latini that everybody talks about) - but I do genuinely like these places and you might even get the chance to run into a few Italians as well as just tourists. Enjoy.....and do let me know where you go once you get back (my mouth is watering just thinking about Florence)

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Vini e Vecchi Sapori
Vini e Vecchi Sapori
2,046 Reviews
Florence, Italy
San Miniato
San Miniato
Province of Pisa, Italy
Restaurante Il Latini
Restaurante Il Latini
6,291 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just back!

.....thanks, Lotts. Now I will bother you with recommendations on Venice if you have been there. We are renting an apt. not too far from the Rialto Bridge. Any ideas as we are only there 3 nights. Food hints too.

Thanks again for the help with Florence.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,355 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
London, UK
Level Contributor
522 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just back!

ilava - I'm afraid I can't help you - am very sorry but as I've never been there - now if you wanted Rome I could help there too. All the best re Venice

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Burbank, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just back!

Hello!

My husband and I are going for our belated honeymoon in November. First trip to Europe for both of us. Doing 2 days/nights Venice, 3 in Florence and 3 in Rome. We really want to do some wine and Olive Oil tasting while around Tuscany. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Geneva, Switzerland
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Just back!

I have been to Tuscany many and I really did enjoy San Gimignano the best. For a great place to do wine tasting go to Greve en Chianti..there is a wonderful celler with about 100 different wines available for tastings. I did not like the crowds in Florence, though it is a must see..I would never stay overnight there, and was not impressed by Sienna - dirtier then normal, even for Italy. The best is to just get into a car and drive..and get a Tuscan Guidebook that gives you overviews of the villages. Plan your drive otherwise you spend most of the time on the road and not enjoying the views, villages and wines!

Mentioned in this post
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
Italy
Italy
Europe
Plan
Plan
300 Reviews
Trento, Italy
Geneva, Switzerland
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Just back!

I have been to Tuscany many and I really did enjoy San Gimignano the best. For a great place to do wine tasting go to Greve en Chianti..there is a wonderful celler with about 100 different wines available for tastings. I did not like the crowds in Florence, though it is a must see..I would never stay overnight there, and was not impressed by Sienna - dirtier then normal, even for Italy. The best is to just get into a car and drive..and get a Tuscan Guidebook that gives you overviews of the villages. Plan your drive otherwise you spend most of the time on the road and not enjoying the views, villages and wines!

Mentioned in this post
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
Italy
Italy
Europe
Plan
Plan
300 Reviews
Trento, Italy
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Just back!

Hi dkeppler:

Would you stay at the Antico Pozzo again? "Stark" sounds so uninviting. Their pics make it look cozier than most of the other hotels in San G. We've got reservations there in a couple of weeks, and backup ones at Leon Bianco and are trying to decide which to cancel. Anything you can add to your experience there would help.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel L'Antico Pozzo
Hotel L'Antico Pozzo
847 Reviews
San Gimignano, Italy
Hotel Leon Bianco
Hotel Leon Bianco
950 Reviews
San Gimignano, Italy
Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just back!

I agree with Lots66 recommendation of Vecchia Mura (restaurant in San Gimi). We ate there twice on our recent trip (just back July 1) and we did't even get a seat outside. The food was great, as well as the service.

We stayed at a B&B outside of San Gimi... Il Casale Del Cotone, and we loved it. It was a quick 5 minute drive into town, easy to park in the early morning and in the p.m. There is a pool at this B&B and it seemed to have a traditional Tuscan feel to it. I thought the rates were very reasonable.

Mentioned in this post
Il Casale del Cotone
Il Casale del Cotone
421 Reviews
San Gimignano, Italy
VZB
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Just back!

I will be going the end of September for a wedding at Croce di Bibbiano Winery. What do you suggest for accomodations? How did you arrive in San G?

20. Re: Just back!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 19, 2009