We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental drop off / train to venice

Which San Gimignano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
car rental drop off / train to venice

Hi. I need a little help. I'm travelling from the Cinque Terre, renting a car in La Spezia and driving to San Gimignano for 3 days. I'm looking for the best location to drop off the car and hop on a train to Venice. Does it make sense to go to Siena (which is about a 20minute ride south) or is there a better option? I want to drop the car right at a train station. Any suggestions?

London, England
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental drop off / train to venice

I don't have specific advice but HERTZ (website www.hertz.com)are really good in Italy, and their website locates and maps their offices, and the following websites might help you do your own rail research:

www.seat61.com

a fantastic independent site about world rail travel with dozens of links

www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

The offical itailan rail site

www.raileurope.com/us/rail/passes/italy

the UK based service, so maybe less useful

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,419 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental drop off / train to venice

There is no train station at San Gimignano. For a train to Venice it would be best to drop your car off in Florence, where most of the car rental firms have offices close to Santa Maria Novella railway station. From there you can get a through rain either to Mestre or to Venice Santa Lucia station which is on the banks of the Grand Canal.

If you take a train from Siena many heading for Florence need a change of trains at Empoli. I do not think there are any through trains from Siena to Venice.

See www.trenitalia.it (English language version)

kcmo
Level Contributor
252 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental drop off / train to venice

We have a similar question--but want to go from San G to Florence and drop the car so we can spend the day in Florence, then get to the train station to travel by train to Venice.

We are having trouble figuring out which Florence car rental location is easiest to get to without incurring fines or spending hours being lost or tied up in traffic. Someone said to go to Fiesole but autoeurope doesn't seem to have a drop off office there. Any thoughts?

4. Re: car rental drop off / train to venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 17, 2009