We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Goldcar

We are just back from Tuscany and I wanted warn fellow travellers to avoid Goldcar:

We booked via Holiday Autos and had to take out extra insurance to avoid Goldcar taking 1,400 off our credit card. We also had to pay over 100 euros for a full tank of petrol, we used half of it so the scam has worked well for them there. When I told them at collection that I wanted to fill the car up myself they pointed to the small print.

The car had a flat battery on the first night and none of the emergency numbers worked from my UK mobile. Managed to get the battery jump started and it was flat again within two days.

I will always pay a little extra to go with a reputable firm in future and I will avoid Goldcar and Holiday Autos at all cost.

50 replies to this topic
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Goldcar

You are not alone with your unfortunate experience with Goldcar, see this very long thread :

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187899-i577-k55…

mesh

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Goldcar

In Italy, always go with Hertz. First check their website to find their locations in Italy. Make sure you pick a location that says CORPORATE and not LICENSEE. Never go with the latter, as Hertz has no control over what they do, or will help you when they do you over. The corporate locations are fine. Best to pay extra and not get scammed at the end.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,712 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Goldcar

There is no need to insist on Hertz. Avis and Europcar are equally reputable.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Goldcar

Don't know about Avis...never used them. Europcar did me over bigtime CAN$600 for a scratched bumper..I mean a small scratch which I am darn sure they never replaced or fixed with a dab of paint. I never use them as a matter of principal. Besides their rates are higher than Hertz. I have only made a detailed study of Hertz, not Avis.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
5. Re: Goldcar

DO NOT USE ! AVOID !!!

I can see that many other people had bad experience with them and I can understand them. I take rent-a-car on a regular basics , but this was the first time with Goldcar (surely the last). Their fuel policy is no different to many other Spanish companies with purchasing full tank of fuel and getting advice from them to return empty. It seems that those doggy Spanish companies are trying to rip off people.

I had a pre-booked car with fair fuel policy (full to full) written in terms and condition, but still, arrogant staff from Goldcar desk were not accepting it, meaning that I had an option...to take full to empty deal or to go next door and pay 5 times more for car rental.

Also trying to sell me an extra insurance (on top of my zero access) and ...oh, yes....If I did not wanted I could go next door and pay 5 times more for car rental.

On top of everything, they would not accept my credit card saying that the card I've given them was "pre-paid" card (Mastercrard) !!! A prepaid card with thousands of ponds limit!!! What an Idiots those people from Goldcar. Because of that I had to pay with debit card with 20 Euros bank charge on top of it (exchange rate plus some other banking charges).

After complaining, I have received pathetic response from them. All they said was, this is us, we do this on this way.

AVOID !

Great. My money they will not see. And

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
67 reviews
6. Re: Goldcar

Hi,

Read the reviews and was concerned that booking Goldcar might be a mistake. Used DoYouSpain to book our car in Palma. Paid DoYouSpain the extra insurance for tyres etc. (€65 approx for 12 days) Ford c max for less than €400 for 12 days

Goldcar tried to get me to buy their extra insurance which was more expensive but I refused as I had it already. €120 for tank of diesel - used most of it and SURPRISE I got a refund 3 days after I returned home - €20 for unused 1/4 tank.. I know they charge a premium for the fuel but their rental prices are cheaper so it balances out in the end. They were the busiest desk at PMI so guess everyone finds their prices attractive.

I wish the Car Rental companies would just give you a straight price for what you need instead of making you cross check and compare so many bits to decide the best offer ...... think I'll use public transport and a few taxis next trip and save myself the grief..

3 posts
7. Re: Goldcar

DON’T USE GOLDCAR OR GOLDCAR.ES RENTALS.

Hired A car this year and the got a “low battery key” warning on the car dash. 2 days later the battery in the remote central locking key packed up. The car was fully accessible manually using the key.I notified them the battery had expired in the remote.

I returned the car with A FULL TANK OF PETROL.

On my return my credit card statement had a

withdrawal of £107.00 (Petrol?), a refund of (£67(Petrol?)

withdrawal of £214.00

On enquiry the latter charge was for a NEW KEY!!

Now having TO CLAIM THROUGH MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY,

THEY ARE A RIP OFF COMPANY. THEY MAKE UNAUTHORISED CHARGES AND HOPE PEOPLE DON’T CHECK THEIR STATEMENTS.

STEER WELL CLEAR OF THEM.

Davey H

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Goldcar

Gold Car has a dismal reputation.

…blogspot.it/2013/08/what-you-need-to-know-b…

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Goldcar

I got scammed by GoldCar last week too. Charged me four times the advertising price for including "insurance" without which they said I would be wholly uncovered. I thought that car rental companies had to provide some level of insurance with the rental, but they did not. Also the full gas tank scam. AND they said they would email me a receipt which I never got. In fact, I would like to know who to complain to at the Pisa Airport as I think their franchise discredits the whole airport. Everyone in the line was having the same problem - I was third in line and it took me an hour to get my car. Total scam.

heemstede
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Goldcar

I wish I had checked on Trip advisor before booking... I had the same problems and ended up paying more than double the quoted "all-in" web price. Cannot recommend this company to anyone!!!

Reply to: Goldcar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted